Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would I need more than 3 x 1 FQs for this? >

Would I need more than 3 x 1 FQs for this?

Would I need more than 3 x 1 FQs for this?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM

Default Would I need more than 3 x 1 FQs for this?

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/Carpe...heelBlock.html Hello, I have made this as a wallhanging for my Sister a few years back and have decided to do a class on it for my Ladies, which will mean I will also get one for myself Quilterscache is great but they are not too good in giving you the overall amount of fabrics that you need and I used yards of materials I had in stock for my Sister's one so could you ladies help pretty please.

Here in the UK, we use metres instead of yards so our FQs are a little larger, approx: 19.5 x 22 inches and I have read and re-read and I am none the wiser. I can get this set of FQs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Knitt...GY1A16RW302KMX for such a good price but I do not really want leftover Christmas fabrics, have too many as it is, so HELP pretty please
Attached Thumbnails carpenters-star-wall-hanging-liz.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM

How big are the pieces? Without that, it's pretty tough to answer your question. On the other hand, I'm sure you could make it fit, simply by making a smaller block.

Looking at the instructions for a 24" block, you need four 3 7/8" strips (from a fat quarter, 21" wide - they use 2 42" WOF strips), and 2 3 1/2" strips of colour 3. Everything else uses less. That totals about 16" + 7" = 23". So your FQ of colour 3 will be slightly too small. The other colours would be fine.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 PM

I think this pattern is for a whole quilt, but perhaps it can help you? I made a quilt from this pattern, and I found it pretty easy. Like I said, I think this is larger than you want....but it just came to mind as I read your post, so I thought I would send it along.

http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html

Dina
Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I count 10 square across and 10 squares done. I think that this quilt is square. If the squares are 2" finished, then your quilt would be 20" x 20" You have to remember that with the HST you will need 3" squares and then the plain squares will be 2.5" I don't think you will have enough of what ever is used in the border with just a fat quarter. Just count the number of square and half square triangles and you should be able to figure it out in your metric measurement. Good Luck.