Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Would Like to hear from anyone that has made Dunster's Diamond Log Cabin Star Quilt

Would Like to hear from anyone that has made Dunster's Diamond Log Cabin Star Quilt

Like many of you, I am always captivated by Dunster's avatar photo and today I clicked on the link in her signature and it took me to her pattern for sale on ebay. It is gorgeous of course but I am wondering how user friendly the pattern is. It does say that it is not a paper-piecing process which is good because I haven't done that before. I am guessing that you sew strips together and then cut them at an angle. One thing I am curious about is how thin the strips are? Would love to hear feedback and tips from anyone or Dunster on making this pattern. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm sure Dunster herself might be able to tell you about it, if you ask her. You can PM her directly.

I've made a diamond log cabin, but mine was a Cindy Edgerton pattern, a miniature (the logs are 1/4") and paper-pieced.

1/4 inch--wow. I am about 60-75% complete with an Ohmigosh quilt where pieces end up 1/2 inch and that has been a real struggle. Yikes.

Well, I'm glad to answer the question, but I hope someone else will chime in. The strips are cut at 1.5" and 1" widths, finishing at 1" and .5". The pattern is 13 pages full pages (8.5x11) plus the front/back cover page. Also included is a paper template, used to measure the block as you build it. I recommend that this paper template be copied on a heavy cloth like cotton duck and used while pressing. The purpose of the template is to help you keep the block at the correct shape and size while sewing on the logs. I tried to make the pattern as complete as possible, with lots of tips on how to be successful with the quilt, but if anyone has any questions at all I am happy to answer them. My email address is on the pattern, and I can also be reached through the board.

Dunster--thank you so much for the added information. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and effort into making a pattern that is user friendly. It really sounds good. Do you have any visual examples of the smaller size star (one that would result in a lap size quilt-your ebay listing says you will be able to provide directions for a smaller quilt--that most likely would be the one I would make)?

Here's one -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

beautiful quilt
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I have the pattern, and it looks very well done. I have not made it yet, but it is on my bucket list and is about third in line. It looks like a beautiful quilt. I have read the pattern, and it is explained very well. Thanks Dunster.
    Sue

Angelina, I made this for the first quilt top. The instructions are thorough. I recommend reading them through more than once, like I think I did it 6-8 times, to be sure I understood everything. I have sewn all my life, just not quilt tops. Dunster, was wonderful to answer any questions via e-mail that I had and guided me through the process. The quilt per the pattern is very large and if making again, I would leave off a strip, I think. I had many positive comments on it and I am thinking, if I did it, you certainly can too. It is a beautiful quilt pattern with endless color variations.