Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would some show me pictures of some quilts using "nontypical" materials -- wool, etc >

Would some show me pictures of some quilts using "nontypical" materials -- wool, etc

Would some show me pictures of some quilts using "nontypical" materials -- wool, etc

Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Default Would some show me pictures of some quilts using "nontypical" materials -- wool, etc

I was recently donated (today) some wool fabric and wondered if some of you would post some of your quilts (charity or otherwise) using some nontypical fabrics such as wools, corduroys, satins, etc.?

This place has a manufacturing plant here in Poland and I've gotten to know the wife of the owner...but most of the fabrics they use are not typical cottons like we think of as they make high end clothing. Anyway, she let me look though a couple of boxes of fabric. I thought I'd try to make some, starting with maybe 10" squares and sash them in something coordinating to make it pull together. Since many of them are thicker than your average quilting cottons (I searched for only wovens, though, not knits), I figure that relatively simple designs might be best. however, the fabrics themselves are nice.

I almost turned down the wool blends, but when I thought about the purpose of a quilt being warmth, I couldn't--I thought I'd start by making something similar to how I use uphostery/decorator fabrics.

Any advice/tips/warnings would be welcome. And pictures? Please?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Can't show you a picture as I have never made a quilt with woolens. But when I was a girl I had an old quilt of woolens made in a fan pattern. Like a quarter of a Dresden plate but with a plain end (curved I think) but not petal- like. I believe the quilt was tied rather than quilted. I remember it was very snug and warm.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM

You can put anything you want in a quilt. It is the quilters choice. If some fabrics are thinner than the others, you can put a fuseable on the back to make it heavier. I do this all the time as I make make memory quilts out of clothing for people that has lost a loved one.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I made a wall quilt out of wool-like coat factory remnants. Since I just vacuum it I didn't worry about fabric content. I used a large stab stitch to quilt it. I would try washing some of your wool-like fabrics and see if they shrink. If they don't they will make very warm quilts and you could machine quilt them. I did a simple Amish square in a square with 1/2 seams for my wallhanging. I will try to post a picture
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Tartan; 10-19-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 AM

I don't have a photo, but I've seen quilts made of a polyester double knit fabric. These quilts are very warm. There are many photos of t-shirt quilts. Those are made to show off the logo on t-shirts, but they are made of fairly thin cotton knit fabrics, usually mixed with quilting cottons. For these, it is recommended that you use iron on interfacing on the back of the t-shirt knits. I've seen fleece used in quilts, too. It can be quilted or used in rag quilts.

With wool, it could be felted and used for decorative items. I've never done this, but others on the board probably have.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

visit the 'pictures' section here on the board & search- wool quilts- you will find many pictures- I have some pictures on there of 'Hawaiian appliqued blocks made with wools on a cotton background- wool applique quilts on cotton flannel background- *I can not re=post; I switched computers & don't have all my pictures on the new one* also visit sites like 'Sue Spargo'; Primative Gatherings; Wooly Lady; A Couple of Sister's Designs; Evening Star designs; there are many more- but those are the ones I can think of right off hand.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 AM

Default wool quilts

we also were the recipients of wool clothing scraps (dress weight wool) and made some quilts, mostly Trip Around the World but also some Log Cabins.
Attached Thumbnails 129wooltaw.jpg   155wooltaw.jpg   183woollc.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Those are nice
Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I made a wall quilt out of wool-like coat factory remnants. Since I just vacuum it I didn't worry about fabric content. I used a large stab stitch to quilt it. I would try washing some of your wool-like fabrics and see if they shrink. If they don't they will make very warm quilts and you could machine quilt them. I did a simple Amish square in a square with 1/2 seams for my wallhanging. I will try to post a picture
Oh wow! That looks amazing.

@ptquilts, those are gorgeous. I never considered using wools but I think I'm going to try now.

Last edited by Veronica S; 10-20-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM

I made a nice all purpose blanket out of corduroy. I put right sides together then batting and sewed around leaving an opening to turn, then top stitched around and knotted the quilt. We use it in the car or for picnics and kids in the yard.
The wool quilts are beautiful, I have not tried using wool.
Jothesewer