Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You Believe??

Blog Entries
    I have finished my first and possibly last flying geese pattern. I was laying it out to piece it all together and the geese on the light sauares are flying in the wrong direction. I found it very confusing to make even if it was Elanore Burns book. I think I will name it the Wild Goose Chase!! I do have to say, my seams are all good the sqs measure up, that at least is a plus.
    I just had to share my delima. I am sure if I give this away I will give it to a non quilter and they will never know and be happy with it. I hope
    So I am just wondering if any one else has a problem with this pattern besides me.
    Pickle

Blog Entries
    Not the wrong direction, change in design....it happens to more of us than you know.

Banned
    I haven't had a problem with this particular design, but this type of thing happens to most all of us at least once! :-D Smile, you're in very good company!! :D :D

Hi Picke, it has happened to many of us. Just consider this your "new" design opportunity. Your quilt does not have to look exactly like the pattern as it was intended. It's yours.

I happen to like the name of "Wild Goose Chase" as the name for your quilt. I would go ahead and quilt and bind it up.

Would you mind sharing picture(s) with us?

Pam M

I can believe it! I have made Eleanor Burns flying geese pattern more than once and last year I chose a western fabric that was basically striped. Fortunately I had cut and sewn twice as many as I needed, but when I went to take them all apart and put them around my block I discovered that half the strips went up and down and half side to side. I did a couple of extra blocks thinking I had done something wrong (ha ha) - nope, that's just how they turn out. I am not a beginning quilter, but certainly was fooled with that one - so Pickle, you aren't the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by callie
    I can believe it! I have made Eleanor Burns flying geese pattern more than once and last year I chose a western fabric that was basically striped. Fortunately I had cut and sewn twice as many as I needed, but when I went to take them all apart and put them around my block I discovered that half the strips went up and down and half side to side. I did a couple of extra blocks thinking I had done something wrong (ha ha) - nope, that's just how they turn out. I am not a beginning quilter, but certainly was fooled with that one - so Pickle, you aren't the only one!
    Using stripes in anything with a diagonal seam makes me groan in frustration. They seem to have a diabolical mind of there own. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I'm doing striped HSTs for a Quilt for Kids quilt. When I was making the squares, I had to tape on on the wall in front of me.

The chasing geese idea sounds like a winner. I do find the design wall helps me with things like this.

Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, and Germany. Now living in TN again.
    Callie, love your profile picture. Did you quilt that? It is so pretty!

Linda in Maryland

Blog Entries
    I can't count the times things haven't turned out as I thought they would. Enjoy them--whichever way they are flying!

Blog Entries
    I could consider sending a photo when it is quilted but I will have to get my grandaughter here to help me send it.
    I felt bad about the mistake but then I thought, I am the artist LOL
    Pickle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast