Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you prewash 1/4 yard cuts? >

Would you prewash 1/4 yard cuts?

Would you prewash 1/4 yard cuts?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
nope, no way, no how, would I wash the kit until it was pieced and quilted. Then I would wash with synthrapol or color catchers.
I agree with Debra K.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Definitely not. What are you going to do if some of the fabrics shrink just enough that you can't get all the cuts you need out of them? Shrinkage is not an issue after the layers are quilted, especially if the quilting lines are not far apart, as the batting controls how much the fabrics can shrink.

If you are wondering about having a bleeder in the bunch, after cutting out your pieces place a scrap of each in a clear plastic tumbler of water and leave overnight. If it is a bleeder, you will see some dye leaking into the water. Take the damp fabric and rub it against any white or light fabric scraps in the kit to see if dye transfers that way. Chances are nothing will be a big problem and you can relax a little about dye bleeds.

If the tests show no problems, you are safe to do the first wash of the finished quilt in cold water with color catchers; just make sure you use a washing machine that uses *lots* of water so any small dye bleeds are sufficiently diluted. Also do not let the quilt sit damp after washing; transfer immediately to a dryer or lay out flat to dry.

If the tests show problems or if you have any lingering fear about bleeds, then use the same process as above for the first wash except use Synthrapol and hot water (Synthapol requires hot water to activate).
Old 01-30-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
If I did,it would only be by hand, swishing around in a sink of hot water then gently hang to dry on a hangar. It is a small cut and if you have fraying or lots of shrinkage you run the risk of being short.
That's exactly what I do with FQ's and 1/4 yd cuts.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
I would not. since it is from a kit if you do get any shrinkage you may be short.
I agree with this. If you are worried you can wash with syntrapol at the end
Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 AM

Okay, I will weigh in on this one. I have several mesh underwear bags in several different sizes for the pre-cuts' washing. I wash all my fabrics before I use them in quilts. When I started, I washed in warm water and those little charms shrank 1/2 inch on one side but not the other so then I started washing in cold water. With the latest invention of good quality cold water detergent, I can now wash them and they shrink ever so slightly if at all. So they get put in the mesh bags to wash and I lay them out flat on the top of the washing machine when they come out of a 5 minute trip through the dryer. When dry, I iron and starch everything after it is washed so they are given hot heat after washing. So, when I give a quilt, I let them know that that the quilt should be washed in warm/cold water. If they need to wash the baby quilt in hot water, who cares, the baby doesn't mind if it shrinks a tad and after all, they drag them around and they get worn anyway. My two cents.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

If they needed to be I would ( gently) if they felt funky, smelled funky or if they were ( bleeders) . check to see if the color bleeds, if so, prewash, if not I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:40 AM

the only fat quarters, or fabric I get from a kit that I prewash are the red ones, and I do those in a sink.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:43 AM

I don't mind washing full 1/4 or 1/2 yard cuts - it's the fat quarters and other precuts that I don't wash. I normally do wash all my fabrics. In fact am working with a bazillion 1/4 yard cuts of batiks now which were all washed. However, coming from a kit - I honestly don't know what I would do. There is such a risk of running out of fabrics. When washing the fabrics after getting them on grain they are frequently quite skewed and you lose quite a bit when straightening the edge. You could always just cut one layer and start your straight edge on the short end of the piece as an alternative.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 AM

I washed fat quarters of flannels after I sewed the raw edges together. Then you have to pick that out after it is dried. I wash all my flannels so I felt I had to wash these quarters, too. Not happy but I did it.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 AM

I don't wash mine, but I do spray starch and press before cutting. I feel like that shrinks It a little. I wash all my quilts with Color Catchers after they are quilted and binding sewn on. Haven't had one fade yet.