Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you prewash 1/4 yard cuts? >

Would you prewash 1/4 yard cuts?

Would you prewash 1/4 yard cuts?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:45 AM

I wash everything except jelly rolls and charm packs, too. I have also bought several kits from Craftsy. Craftsy has exceptional customer service and, thus, is really good about replacing any cuts that are too short. I have washed every fabric that I have gotten in their kits and have never had to ask for a replacement. There won't be a lot of excess though, so plan your cuts. On the other hand, I know others that have received fabric that was cut too small. Those quilters have never had an issue with Craftsy sending out more fabric. Therefore, I would wash them in cold water and dry them on low. Then if there is an issue once you start cutting, contact Craftsy.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Veinurse View Post
I bought this Bear Paw quilt kit. http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/bear-paw-quilt-kit/4793

All the colors are in 1/4 yard cuts. I am afraid to start because with the white background and many bright colors I am afraid of bleeding even with color catchers, cold washes, etc.

What would you do?
In a kit I don't pre wash however do wash fat quarters by soaking in a sink basin
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
nope, no way, no how, would I wash the kit until it was pieced and quilted. Then I would wash with synthrapol or color catchers.
This is what I do too. I do a lot of kits and never had a problem with colors running. If I have deep colors I will sometime use both Synthrapol and Color Catchers together.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7069958]I would, by hand in the sink, spin in salad spinner & hang or lay flat to dry.[/QUOTE

Salad Spinner - well, I would have never thought of that but what a wonderful idea!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM

I would test them for colorfastness. I use a white muslin or wash cloth...dampen in warm water and rub across the fabric...if it's going to bleed...color will show on the white cloth.

Take the ones that bleed (I'm betting it won't be many) and soak those in warm water with dawn dish soap... then rinse using a color catcher in the water.

Originally Posted by Veinurse View Post
I bought this Bear Paw quilt kit. http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/bear-paw-quilt-kit/4793

All the colors are in 1/4 yard cuts. I am afraid to start because with the white background and many bright colors I am afraid of bleeding even with color catchers, cold washes, etc.

What would you do?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:38 AM

Yes. I use a mesh bag for my smaller cuts and wash on light. Never had a problem.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:36 PM

I wash all my fabric.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Hand wash in the sink with hot water! I've done that and had to rinse 19 times before the water ran clear! Better safe then sorry!!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 PM

I would....used to do it often with batiks that I knew would bleed. I did them in a bathroom basin and used Retayne to set the color. then I would rinse well, and either put in a salad spinner or gently squeeze and hang over my shower rod with a towel underneath.....I was usually saw evidence of the bleed in the first water. Especially anything with red or blue.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I would wash by hand, gently washing in the sink, then ironing dry; or put them in a pillowcase and wash in your washing machine. I like to prewash all my fabrics, however, I do not wash anything smaller than 1/4 yd. cuts.