Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you support a store that sells knock off designs as their own? >

Would you support a store that sells knock off designs as their own?

Would you support a store that sells knock off designs as their own?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Folks, I'm angry. Why? I hate it when large corporations try to walk over other people. Today I found out that certain Walmart fabric sections are carrying printed fabric that is a blatant knock off for Tula Pink's designs. Check her blog for the photos and judge for yourself.
http://tulapink.com/2010/09/19/outraged/
I know some folks are excited that Walmart is stocking fabric again, but I will not buy fabric from Walmart because of this infringement.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Only if they refused to make it right. Also there's already a 5 pager on this topic.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't. That's tacky tacky tacky. But I'm not a Walmart shopper. That place gives me the creeps.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM

This is the third topic on this subject posted today. Just in case anyone is reading this forum. LOL:>
Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Because the question is different than the other topic, in my mind, I'll answer here:

I would not support a store that sells knock offs as their own (knowingly, myself knowing or the store knowing)

I feel this way because I know that designers and engineers work just as hard as anyone else. I think in some ways things get taken a bit far, like being unable to use VW logo's on a cafe press shirt design featuring a handpainted VW 1965 split window bus. In the case of such a blatant copy as the initiating case, no way, no how would I purchase that fabric and if the store involved was aware of the issue and left the fabric on the shelves, no way would I shop there.

There are always options, big box stores only have the power that the consumers give them.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Today must be beat up Walmart day. We each have our opinions about this. I have not seen her fabric at the local WM yet.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Walmart is not selling these fabrics as their own designs. They buy their fabric like every quilt shop at a buyers mart. Some wiseguy got this probably out of Asia and setup a table at a show and Walmarts buyers liked it and ordered, never knowing it was a knock-off. The fact they reversed the backgrounds tells me it was done on purpose and unfortunately because most of us are mad at Walmart we jump on the bandwagon and blame them. It is sad it happened but I am certain we will find other places selling it also. If they find one gullible buyer that will find others.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM

How many of your shop at those indoor flea markets? Knock off items are sold there all the time.
Everything it seems is a knock off or a copy of something. I suppose if your LQS sold a knock off would you be screaming? Or shall we all just get a few Molotov cocktails and some C4 and blow Wal Mart up. That should end the creepiness factor.

<steps off soapbox>
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 PM

There is a lot of division with walmart. Some hate it and some love it. We only have walmart here so I don't have a lot of choices but even when we do get to a target they don't ever have what I'm looking for and walmart does. No kmart here either but it seems like people hate them even more. I'm actually excited that we will be getting a walmart supercenter soon. They're the only store that labels their generic brand well and with kids with food allergies, that is more important to me.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:35 PM

I would have to say yes since I already did it. I confess. I bought a Dolce and Gabbana knock off purse at Hot Topic. Since I never ever will be able to afford an original. And i'm sure it wasn't an EXACT copy. Everything is a knock off of something else. All those gowns for the Oscars immediately have knock offs available immediately. There is always an original item invented or designed. Anyone else that comes out with something similar is basically making a knock off of that original item. Guess we better stop buying cell phones, cars, computers....

You know what? I have much more important things in my life to worry about than this conversation. Instead lets concentrate our energies on being there for others on this board that are hurting, a family member is ill, etc. Or better yet...hey!! lets be crazy and talk about quilting!!!

Anybody in?