Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you trust this? >

Would you trust this?

Would you trust this?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 AM

Default Would you trust this?

Hi everyone!! I am asking once again for all of your wonderful expertise and opinions. I found a used sure stitch for my machine. Says used, like new in the add. I know nothing about these things and I'm not sure if it's something you should buy used. It's already packed up in the original box, the seller is about a 2 hr drive from my house, so I think testing it is out, and honestly I wouldn't know how to work it anyhow. The price seems good to me at $100. But again, do these break easy? Are the chances high I could be buying a broken one? Ty in advance for your thoughts!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

you should try it out- know if it's something you could use before dropping $100! visit local dealers and 'test drive' machines before deciding you want to buy a used machine- and, if buying used always check them out- before- unless you just have lots of 'disposable income' to share and like to take risks. there are many used machines that work great for a lot less than $100; then again, there are as many that are a lot more- but you should know what you are getting before committing- I would keep looking if it were me. the 'owner' should be willing to take it out of the box & at least show many pictures, and the machine 'in action' - if they are so far away and you state- (and honestly I wouldn't know how to work it anyhow. ) how will you learn to use it? if you purchase locally at least you can get some 'instruction, help' along the way.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 AM

I sure don't know how to help, as I don't even know what a sure stitch is. I did just google it, and I thought it was a type of sewing machine, but maybe it is an attachment.

At any rate, I would want to make sure it worked before I bought it. Whoever is selling it ought to be able to demonstrate it, you would think. Have you talked to the seller? Maybe you and a friend could make a lunch date type thing to go look at it. I don't think I would go alone.

Hope you figure out what is best for you.

Dina
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Is this the stitch regulator for a Grace frame? I think it's altogether possible that the seller decided she preferred to sew in non-stitch-regulated mode and therefore wants to sell a perfectly good stitch regulator for which she has no use. Have you asked whether she is able to show you how it works (and therefore demonstrate that it does indeed work)? If so, take DH or a friend (I agree with that safety precaution!) and go try it out.

This blog has a good description of how it should work - http://www.graceframe.com/site/sally...ch-regulator-1