Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 AM

I have a friend that worked at the Walmart fabric department. They changed the policy and the fabric department had to cover other departments. She has MS and they told her that she now had to cover the other departments and do all the stocking jobs. She could not with her MS, and they marked her performance down, and called her in for her performance. Well, she quit because she could not do the job. She only got 10% off her purchases and her husband told her the job was not worth the discount. She is sooo much happier since she left. So is a job worth it?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 AM

MartiToo, please go to Walmart if you like, they can use the help. It seems that if you are a sewer or quilter they do not time for you. I was they there yesterday waiting for 20 minutes for someone to cut the fabric. Then I was told to go to the Electrical department and ask some one there to call some body.....they did and then I returned to the fabric and waited another ten minutes. So, finally, I put the fabric on the table and left the store. It seems like when I go to Walmart anymore they don't have enough people there to work, so will find another place for fabric and groceries. OH, one of the ladies I saw ran around looking for someone to cut fabric but said she could not because it was her lunch time. Why not give a worker a few more minutes for lunch or break if she is helping out with other things in the store. I know time is time but come on they lost a sale and probably for a long time a customer. Have a great day, and some day I hope to meet you there cutting fabric. Take care and have a super great day.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM

I worked at Wal-Mart. The only ladies who specifically worked in that area a couple days a week had been there for years. Otherwise you will be put where needed and if like me, you handled four different departments and then got yelled at when stuff wasn't done. If you want extra hours, you should go to Joann's this time of year for fabric work. Or Target.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM

The holidays are coming up and Walmart will be doing holiday hiring, which is temporary, so you could try it to see if you like it. I doubt if you can request a department to work in, they put you where they need you, so you may find yourself working a department other than fabric.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 PM

If they hire you for the fabric department and guarantee you will remain there and only work the amount of hours you want then go for it. Some how I doubt it will work out that way. I hope it does for your sake.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Is WalMart the only "villain" here?

How many LQS employees have "full benefits"?
A multi Billion $ company is so far different than a any small LQS you can't even consider them equally. And yes there are too many villains in this world.
I like to shop local to keep my local economy healthy. If I have to pay more so be it. I am really tired of my money going into big pockets and overseas. Banks, gas, Insurance, on and on.

My $ will not go to them as much as I can resist.
peace
Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 PM

I doubt you could hire on at Walmart and specify which department and what days you want to work.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by MartiToo View Post
I was at Walmart yesterday (our small town options for sewing notions are Walmart or nothing) and talked to the lady working the fabric department. We were just chatting about everything from shoe inserts to teaching school and she said she just works there a couple of days a week, just enough to have a little play money. My dh has been after to me to get a job and quit being a hermit, but I don't want to teach school 5 days a week and grade essays all weekend. A couple of days a week appeals to me, especially if it is doing something I like.
There are two WMs in this area. I haven't shopped there in 4 years and won't. Definitely wouldn't work there! I'm happy to shop ANYWHERE else even if that sometimes means I have to spend a little more.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:12 AM

I think I retired too early...I'm getting ansy but don't want to work at a job another younger woman might really need. I'm going to look into volunteering some place...DH says NOT at humane society, you'd bring them all home LOL
Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 AM

I retired from Wal-Mart 6 years ago after a 21 year job. I did everything from cashiering to cutting fabrics for lunch breaks, and ending up in the accounting office. I made good money and great insurance, 401K, profit sharing and at the end 4 weeks vacation. If I have to go back to work, that would be the first place I would apply.