Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  I still can't believe my luck >

WOW! I still can't believe my luck

WOW! I still can't believe my luck

Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Default WOW! I still can't believe my luck

Only two months ago, I had a 3-year old cheapie Singer that was collecting dust. It was so bad (and I lost all the parts with it in a move) that I started fresh with a cheapie Singer that my husband got me for $20. I had an old Kenmore in a cabinet that was left in our house. The needle on it wouldn't move so it's an awesome (altho ugly - avocado green!)door stop! It weighs about 3 tons. But I kept the cabinet to use as a table.
I caught the sewing/quilting bug and wanted another machine, so I got a 40-year old Elna that I just loved. Then I found a deal on a Juki with the machine frame and carriage and sold the Elna. Then I decided I didn't like the frame and put it on Craigslist (no bites yet) but wanted to keep the Juki. I really don't sew or quilt enough to really justify having a $700 machine, so I've been looking for something else....
I do a LOT of hand quilting, and I have fat fingers. After a while, my thimble starts to dig into my cuticle and hurt and slow me down (or stop me!).
Today, we were out "antique-ing" and I found a whole cabinet full of collectible thimbles. Most of them were porcelain or not useable at all. But I saw 3 of them that intrigued me! I had them open the case and I looked at these that I was drawn to... they are pewter and large! They also have really nice, big "needle holes" and can be used! I don't know the story behind them, but they are plenty big for my giant finger with room to spare! I'll have to pad my finger or the thimble and it was only $5!! It has cool engravings (horses? deer?) on the sides too!
At another store, I found a pretty purple Kenmore sewing machine. It didn't have a price on it. It was in a box-stand-thing. I tried it out, and when you turned the wheel, it wouldn't move the needle But then I realized that the bobbin winder was "on", so I turned released it, and it cranked!! I plugged it in and it fired right up so we brought it home. It is in good condition. A bit oily and dusty and has some scratches. However, I'm in love with the color. And it fits perfectly in the cabinet that the avocado monster came out of!
So in two months, I'm on my 6th machine!! Seven, if you include the embroidery machine! I hope I'm done for a while!!
Attached Thumbnails photo-5-.jpg   photo-6-.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like you've had some great adventures! Congrats on finding some thimbles you can use, and a machine too!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks, I don't know which one to play with first!! I think the thimble, because I don't have to read the booklet for it!!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Aw, nuts, looks like I'll have to go needle shopping for this machine before I can use it. It looks like I need some special needles. Hope I can find them
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM

I think your avacado Kenmore may be like the one I have, but I love mine. Yeah the color sucks but it used to work great. One of these days I will take it in and have it looked at. My late father-in-law was the only one who could keep it running well.
Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Glad you found those thimbles and purple is a great color.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Hey girlie, Are you really going to SEW? I don't believe it. You know you'll have show and tell next time we meet. : )
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and a peaceful Black Friday. We all did a pretty good job holding up without Lance. Tell that great son of yours we'l plan our meeting around his schedule, just to see him again. If you come to Halls, look me up. glenda
Old 11-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by valsma View Post
I think your avacado Kenmore may be like the one I have, but I love mine. Yeah the color sucks but it used to work great. One of these days I will take it in and have it looked at. My late father-in-law was the only one who could keep it running well.
Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Glad you found those thimbles and purple is a great color.
I think the purple one is older than the green one. The green one says model #158.850 and the purple one is #158.481. I don't really know what that means. The thimble is really cool. Wish I could take a better pic of it!
I can't get the little door that holds the bulb to stay closed,because I think it was used to carry it once or twice too many times

I had a very good day, and I needed it. Yesterday, I was ready to start chucking things into the fireplace!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
Hey girlie, Are you really going to SEW? I don't believe it. You know you'll have show and tell next time we meet. : )
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and a peaceful Black Friday. We all did a pretty good job holding up without Lance. Tell that great son of yours we'l plan our meeting around his schedule, just to see him again. If you come to Halls, look me up. glenda
I might I don't really have a good excuse not to now, do I?!
We had a good, quiet Thanksgiving. My husband always had to work on that day and got it off for the first time since he was 16! Son went to his girlfriend's house and we worked on the car (exciting). Still haven't gotten it all on, and it starts this rain today. Oh well. I'm just glad I got a 4-day weekend!
I'm in Halls sometimes. I have to go to Walmart, don't I?! Oh, wait until that Aldi's opens up! You'll love it!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM

I ♥ your purple sewing machine!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 PM

Hope the purple machine is exactly what you need!