Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrong directions >

Wrong directions

Wrong directions

Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 PM

I cut out all the pieces for a rag quilt and pieces for the back , and cut up the batting. I sewed the first block, or tried . The pieces are not going together as they are not the right size.

I am going to try to add another piece to square the blocks. I should of tried a block before I cut it all. :cry: :cry:
Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 PM

I have never made a rag quilt but I think that it is going to be my next project. I've been looking at directions here on the net. If you do a search in this forum on rag quilts it will direct you to several threads that have talked about them. Also there are a lot of sites on the WWW that give directions here are a couple.
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa.../rag_quilt.htm

http://www.freequiltideas.com/free_q...lt_Pattern.htm

I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out and please post pics.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Your top and back pieces should be the exact same size. If you are using traditional (regular) batting, then you cut it smaller (I think an inch smaller all around). I used flannel instead of batting and cut them the same size as the top and bottom fabric.

Barb C.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 PM

Thanks for that ccbear, I too have been looking for instructions for a rag quilt, having never seen one before I came to this site. The sites you have chosen have very clear instructions, thanks so much :)
Old 07-21-2007, 03:30 AM

My pieces were 3by 6 3by9 and 6by6 With one inch top seams. These measurements ,I think, did not contain the seam allowance. I have 30 of each.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 AM

I've just spent this morning cutting up some (more) old jeans for my denim rag quilt project. There are a few patterns out there - some call for batting some don't. I am using a flannel backing and from what I've read I won't need batting. I started cutting some jeans last year and must have read somewhere to use 5.5 inch squares. Doing a little research last night I see now that I will need to leave an inch seam allowance which means my blocks will be much smaller than I originally thought. From the denim I cut this morning I am going to cut rectangles that are larger (8.5 x 5.5 or 9.5 x5.5) and alternate them with the squares I already have.

Ruth remember it's a rag quilt and you are creating your own! Anything goes! All is not lost - you can cut some longer pieces and it will all come out (in the wash lol) in the end. Also I don't know how big you are expecting your finished project to be but 60 pieces of denim at that size doesn't sound like a lot.
~ also I think we are "neighbors" or at least not too far apart - I am in Warrensburg!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Hi neighbor, I made a jean quilt with recycled jeans, it was heavy. I backed mine with squares of plaid fabrics. No batting needed in these. For rag quilts I always used one size pieces. I should be able to add more pieces and make a block. :D