Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrongside applique >

Wrongside applique

Wrongside applique

Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 AM

Hello everyone, I have a few questions. I have the book Sew Pretty Homestyle and they talk about Wrongside applique but don't show much on how to do it, any suggestions on where to find a tutorial? Have any of you done this techique ? Is it difficult for beginners? Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 AM

Do you mean reverse applique?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

This is the first I've heard of it. However, I just happened to run across a class at Quilt University that seems to be this method. Scroll down to see the class. They call it "upside-down" applique. From the description, it seems to be the same method you are asking about.

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/catalog.htm
Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM

i had a look at that site but am none the wiser on that particular technique other than it is by machine. first i've heard of wrongside applique.

i know reverse applique...rather than attaching the applique shape on top of the background, you layer a piece of fabric for the shape behind the background, cut out the shape from the background (remember it is on top), tuck the edges back underneath and stitch that edge of the background to the applique piece behind. i'm not sure how clear that is to you. here is a link to see how it works.

The Kuna Indians of San Blas Islands sew what is called Mola and is many layered reverse applique. it is beautiful. most of their work is rather detailed but i have seen simple designs done in this method as well.
a couple of links to this method.
http://blakesmarestudio.com/reverse.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pananani/
nayy, just found those on google images, there are heaps more.
also somewhere online you can find some good instructions for doing the mola layering.
i feel a headache coming on or i'd go find it for you. sorry.

off to find some caffeine or herbs or something for this.
hope that helps,
j.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:17 PM

http://quiltsatcs.blogspot.com/2006/...-applique.html

ran across this one on the upside down method.
looks to me as if you lay the pattern on the backside of the background fabric, following the numbers in order from one, lay applique pieces on the front of background wrong side against the background fabric, then stitching on the line of pattern do a small zigzag round the edges.
this attaches the applique piece on the front. you then carefully snip off any excess fabric from the front, snipping up close to the zigzag stitching.
layer wrong side of fabric #2 onto the background fabric, turn to the back, zigzag round the edges of pattern piece #2, turn, snip off excess and carry on thru til all pieces are attached on the front.
look at the pix there and see if that helps you see how it is done. you're sewing onto the paper pattern lines on the backside.

reminds me a bit of machine trapunto.
fwiw,
j.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Someone did a demo on that years ago at a quilt show....but I didn't keep my sample as I found it sort of like coming in through the back door. It was fun in the class though....hmmm....can't quite remember who taught it, but think it was down at one of Jinny Beyer's seminars.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 AM

THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH!! These will help! You all should give yourselves a treat for being soo helpful!! I really appreciate you!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

That sounds like a really interesting technique...hmmm...have to add that to my ever growing longer to try someday list!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

After thinking about it a bit, it seems to me I ran across that technique many years ago. In terms of re-creating it, I'm thinking the way to go -- once you have your design on the stabilizer on the wrong side of the background fabric -- is to lay a large piece of the applique fabric on the right side. Straight stitch on the wrong side just a hair inside the drawn pattern. (I seem to remember someone using free motion to do this, too, so you don't have to turn the fabrics all around while sewing.) Trim the applique fabric close to the stitching edge, then satin stitch from the right side to finish the applique design. Afterwards you would remove stabilizer from the back. (Want to keep stabilizer on while satin stitching to prevent tunneling.)

Just a few thoughts on how I'd try it out if I couldn't take the course......
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Prism, thats a good explanation and sounds like it would work.