Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: yardage according to quilterscashe?

I went through the math and figured out the yardage I would need for my sons twin quilt with the saw tooth star and it seemed really low. It said I would need .6 yards .6 yards and 1 yard for 3 colors. I'm doing 48 blocks. should i just buy more?

I always buy a little more than I need, but that's just me. I'd rather have too much than too little.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I always buy a little more than I need, but that's just me. I'd rather have too much than too little.
    Me too!

The standard size for a twin is 39" x 75" without extra drop for the sides and end. 2 1/4 yds would cover that, depending upon the blocks, borders, etc.. that you have. Your figures seem a little low to me, but if they came from a particular pattern, they may be right.

My advice is to get more, you can always have some for your stash, but you can't strech what you have.

Lanny

Power Poster
    That's only 2.2 yards - is that for the whole top?

Is more fabric listed for borders?

How large do you plan to make the top?

I think there is an error in the pattern for the block. It's saying there are only 1 strip needed of each color and i think it needs to be 2 strips. I'm going to email her and find out ;)

ok i was doing the math wrong :) sorry! it comes out to be 2.6 yds, 1.08 yds and 7 yds for all 3 colors. that seems like alot to me for a twin top but i'll get it and if i have extra thats ok

I always buy way to much fabric. I am in fear of messing up and not being able to get more. I just figure I have more for something else later.

I think Quilters Cache just gives the yardage for each block. It is up to you to figure out how much you will need for a quilt. Just decided how many blocks you will need to make and then multiply the yardage by the number of blocks. BTW .6 of a yard is 6 inches the width of fabric.