Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Yardage for lap size dissappearing nine patch?

  1. #1
    Senior Member bodie358's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    406
    My LQS is having a 40% off everything sale coming up! I am a beginner and want to make the Dissapperaring Nine Patch in lap size using 9 different fabrics. How much of each (in yardage, not precuts) do I need?

  2. #2
    omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,060
    I always figure five yards of fabric for a lap robe (that allows me to have scraps) The size of robes I make are about 60"x72" and are used on a bed, or folded in half, work well in wheelchairs (I don't know how much scrap I have left over from the five yards, but I am betting it would be a stretch to have enough for binding ... of course, I cut my binding at three inches ... if that helps any :thumbup:

  3. #3
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,845
    Sorry, I have no idea how much to buy. I am trying to use some of my stash up.

  4. #4
    Super Member dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, Oregon
    Posts
    9,985
    We really can't answer that without knowing how big you want your lap quilt to be, and what size squares you will be using for your 9-patch.

    Let's assume you want 3-inch finished squares in the 9-patch. The 9 patch blocks will be 9" finished, and your d9p will then have the same number of 8" blocks. If you make the quilt 8 blocks wide and 9 blocks long, it will finish (before borders) at 64x72 inches, which is a nice lap size. This means you need 8x9=72 blocks, which means 72 3.5" squares of each fabric.

    In one 40" strip of fabric, you can get 11 3.5" patches, so you will need 7 strips. 7x3.5" is 24.5", so you need 24.5" usable of each fabric. You might get by with 3/4 yard, but I would buy 1 yard of each to allow for shrinkage, squaring up, and possible mistakes.

    You may also want border(s), and you certainly need backing and binding.

    Now I've just told you to buy more than 9 yards of fabric for a lap quilt. You see why quilting can get expensive! If you want to make the 9 patch squares bigger than 3" you will need less fabric. Just pick a size and go through the logic above.

  5. #5
    Super Member LucyInTheSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    We really can't answer that without knowing how big you want your lap quilt to be, and what size squares you will be using for your 9-patch.

    Let's assume you want 3-inch finished squares in the 9-patch. The 9 patch blocks will be 9" finished, and your d9p will then have the same number of 8" blocks. If you make the quilt 8 blocks wide and 9 blocks long, it will finish (before borders) at 64x72 inches, which is a nice lap size. This means you need 8x9=72 blocks, which means 72 3.5" squares of each fabric.

    In one 40" strip of fabric, you can get 11 3.5" patches, so you will need 7 strips. 7x3.5" is 24.5", so you need 24.5" usable of each fabric. You might get by with 3/4 yard, but I would buy 1 yard of each to allow for shrinkage, squaring up, and possible mistakes.

    You may also want border(s), and you certainly need backing and binding.

    Now I've just told you to buy more than 9 yards of fabric for a lap quilt. You see why quilting can get expensive! If you want to make the 9 patch squares bigger than 3" you will need less fabric. Just pick a size and go through the logic above.
    Ummm, yeah, ditto :shock:

  6. #6
    Senior Member adriansmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    356
    WHAT SHE SAID!! LOL

  7. #7
    Senior Member Loretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surfside Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    680
    3 inches for binding sounds a bit large. I cut mine at 2-1/4" with a 1/4" seam. Turns very well. You might try it and see if you them have enough fabric.

  8. #8
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    3 inches for binding sounds a bit large. I cut mine at 2-1/4" with a 1/4" seam. Turns very well. You might try it and see if you them have enough fabric.
    Me too. That width gives a nice tidy binding without it being too big on the back.

  9. #9
    omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    3 inches for binding sounds a bit large. I cut mine at 2-1/4" with a 1/4" seam. Turns very well. You might try it and see if you them have enough fabric.
    Three inches IS large ... and, I finally figured out why I cut it so big ... happened to actually end up with a 1/4" foot, and guess what! If you actually sew that little seam allowance, 2.25 or 2.50 is plenty wide for binding ... But, on most of my machines, I was using the edge of the presser foot for my measurement - - obviously, the larger measurement was the only way I could succeed ... :?

  10. #10
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by bodie358
    My LQS is having a 40% off everything sale coming up! I am a beginner and want to make the Dissapperaring Nine Patch in lap size using 9 different fabrics. How much of each (in yardage, not precuts) do I need?


    40 % OFF!!??? Ohhh can I come too?? I'd buy at least 4 yards of EVERYTHING i like if I had the money! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.