Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yardage for lap size dissappearing nine patch?

My LQS is having a 40% off everything sale coming up! I am a beginner and want to make the Dissapperaring Nine Patch in lap size using 9 different fabrics. How much of each (in yardage, not precuts) do I need?

I always figure five yards of fabric for a lap robe (that allows me to have scraps) The size of robes I make are about 60"x72" and are used on a bed, or folded in half, work well in wheelchairs (I don't know how much scrap I have left over from the five yards, but I am betting it would be a stretch to have enough for binding ... of course, I cut my binding at three inches ... if that helps any :thumbup:

Sorry, I have no idea how much to buy. I am trying to use some of my stash up.

We really can't answer that without knowing how big you want your lap quilt to be, and what size squares you will be using for your 9-patch.

Let's assume you want 3-inch finished squares in the 9-patch. The 9 patch blocks will be 9" finished, and your d9p will then have the same number of 8" blocks. If you make the quilt 8 blocks wide and 9 blocks long, it will finish (before borders) at 64x72 inches, which is a nice lap size. This means you need 8x9=72 blocks, which means 72 3.5" squares of each fabric.

In one 40" strip of fabric, you can get 11 3.5" patches, so you will need 7 strips. 7x3.5" is 24.5", so you need 24.5" usable of each fabric. You might get by with 3/4 yard, but I would buy 1 yard of each to allow for shrinkage, squaring up, and possible mistakes.

You may also want border(s), and you certainly need backing and binding.

Now I've just told you to buy more than 9 yards of fabric for a lap quilt. You see why quilting can get expensive! If you want to make the 9 patch squares bigger than 3" you will need less fabric. Just pick a size and go through the logic above.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    We really can't answer that without knowing how big you want your lap quilt to be, and what size squares you will be using for your 9-patch.

Let's assume you want 3-inch finished squares in the 9-patch. The 9 patch blocks will be 9" finished, and your d9p will then have the same number of 8" blocks. If you make the quilt 8 blocks wide and 9 blocks long, it will finish (before borders) at 64x72 inches, which is a nice lap size. This means you need 8x9=72 blocks, which means 72 3.5" squares of each fabric.

In one 40" strip of fabric, you can get 11 3.5" patches, so you will need 7 strips. 7x3.5" is 24.5", so you need 24.5" usable of each fabric. You might get by with 3/4 yard, but I would buy 1 yard of each to allow for shrinkage, squaring up, and possible mistakes.

You may also want border(s), and you certainly need backing and binding.

Now I've just told you to buy more than 9 yards of fabric for a lap quilt. You see why quilting can get expensive! If you want to make the 9 patch squares bigger than 3" you will need less fabric. Just pick a size and go through the logic above.
    Ummm, yeah, ditto :shock:

WHAT SHE SAID!! LOL

3 inches for binding sounds a bit large. I cut mine at 2-1/4" with a 1/4" seam. Turns very well. You might try it and see if you them have enough fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    3 inches for binding sounds a bit large. I cut mine at 2-1/4" with a 1/4" seam. Turns very well. You might try it and see if you them have enough fabric.
    Me too. That width gives a nice tidy binding without it being too big on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Three inches IS large ... and, I finally figured out why I cut it so big ... happened to actually end up with a 1/4" foot, and guess what! If you actually sew that little seam allowance, 2.25 or 2.50 is plenty wide for binding ... But, on most of my machines, I was using the edge of the presser foot for my measurement - - obviously, the larger measurement was the only way I could succeed ... :?

Quote Originally Posted by bodie358
    My LQS is having a 40% off everything sale coming up! I am a beginner and want to make the Dissapperaring Nine Patch in lap size using 9 different fabrics. How much of each (in yardage, not precuts) do I need?

40 % OFF!!??? Ohhh can I come too?? I'd buy at least 4 yards of EVERYTHING i like if I had the money! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast