Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YAY!! I FINALLY finished washing! >

YAY!! I FINALLY finished washing!

YAY!! I FINALLY finished washing!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 AM

When my husband and I moved to a retirement home because of his health, I was determined to bring my LARGE collection of fabric and sewing notions with me. He had smoked cigars for years; so I washed everything possible, including plastic containers. Then came the ironing, folding, and organizing. My sewing room was in great order!

Then---I started making /finishing multitudes of projects for family and for our annual craft sale here. After 3 years of this, everything is a mess! So, I must finish several UFO's and take ( ?) days to straighten and reorganize. Believe me, at the age of 81 my get up and go is weakening, but I am determined to get this done!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM

A lady in our church was put into a nursing home and they are selling her house and getting rid of everything.. I got her WHOLE craft room.. She was a major quilter! that is how I got all the fabric! ... And as far as keeping it from fraying... My first few loads I just delt with it.. and cut threads after pulling them out of the washer.... but then I got alittle smarter and cliped all the cut edges with pinking shears before putting them into the washer.. WORKED GREAT! ... I WAS NOT going to take the time to sew all the edges.. there was no way! ... and as far as ironing.. I barely made it through all the washing.. So they all were folded and places on shelf WITHOUT ironing... ironing will come on the day I use them for projects..lol.. I have had enough fun for awhile with fabric care .. haha!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I always wash fabric, particularly when it is given to me and they have had it around for a while. I cut the corners off so that down the road if I can't remember if I washed it or not, if it doesn't have that corner cut off I know it hasn't been washed.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Now two things: (1) do you need donations to pay your water/electrical expense?; and (2) what does 40 loads of fabric look like all stacked and ready? Enjoy your classes and your new adventure of quilting.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM

I will try and take a picture soon.... as far as Water bill, we do not pay one.. it is included with out house.. YAY!... Electric, I will just have to see on next months bill.. haha!!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Wow alot of work but , I am sure you have sat back and just admired all that great stash!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
When my husband and I moved to a retirement home because of his health, I was determined to bring my LARGE collection of fabric and sewing notions with me. He had smoked cigars for years; so I washed everything possible, including plastic containers. Then came the ironing, folding, and organizing. My sewing room was in great order!

Then---I started making /finishing multitudes of projects for family and for our annual craft sale here. After 3 years of this, everything is a mess! So, I must finish several UFO's and take ( ?) days to straighten and reorganize. Believe me, at the age of 81 my get up and go is weakening, but I am determined to get this done!
Good for you. I admire your determination.
Congrats to you mimmy96.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM

Lucky you have fun making quilt, crafts and whatever you like. Pictures please.