Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow brick road quilt - how much fabric needed? >

Yellow brick road quilt - how much fabric needed?

Yellow brick road quilt - how much fabric needed?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 PM

Do a search. Atkinsons put out the pattern, but you can purchase it from lots of quilt shops
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
lgc

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by katsewnsew
No a fat quarter is half of a half yard - or 18" x 22".
A quarter is a quarter is a quarter. The only difference is a fat quarter is a yard cut in half selvedge to selvedge and then lengthwise. Regular quarter yards are all cut selvedge to selvedge. They have exactly the same amount of square inches.

The difference is you can get squares from 10 inches up to 18 inches from a fat quarter but not a regular quarter. But you can only get strips up to 22 inches long from a fat quarter.
A quarter yard (9" x WOF) and a fat quarter (18" x 1/2 WOF) may have the same square inches, but some patterns, the Yellow Brick Road for example, need the width of the 18" in order to cut the strip widths needed for the blocks.

That said - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! The Yellow Brick Road Pattern. Fat quarters are so easy to collect and use for this pattern. This quilt looks different every time you make it. I’ve even cut the strips half the size called for to make a table topper (a little math involved) and one baby quilt I set the blocks on point. The only pattern I've made more than once and look forward to making the next one. A scrappy version done in the local high school colors (It's cold at the soccer games :lol: ).
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Keepsake Quilting has the yellow brick pattern. They have a catalog and you can also go on line and order it.keepsakequilting.com
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM
QKO

Classic pattern and a great, impressive easy pattern!

For the fabric requirements for all quilt sizes, you can see the back of the pattern on our website. Click on this link and then "enlarge" under the picture, scroll to the second picture. The pattern was updated in '07 so make sure you have the updated pattern if using these fabric requirements:

http://www.quilt-kits-online.com/pro...hp?prod=ATK126
Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 AM

I have this pattern and will sell for $3 plus postage, probably less than a dollar? I haven't used this pattern but will share instead but there is the copyrighted law to contend with.....
Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 AM
QKO

Cindy made the YBR a few years ago using Hoffman Bali batiks and TT Tonga batiks. It was really pretty:

[img]http://www.quilt-kits-online.com/pro...ybrbalimed.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM

I am new to Quilting and just wanted to say thanks this was a great explanation and answered my questions completely. Now working on my first quilt which is the yellow brick road pattern. THANKS AGAIN!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

It is not a freebie so you can purchase it online or maybe on eBay or this board. I have the pattern and I can't find it. I have my EQ instructions. You just will have to recalculate on the cutting of the fabric. Pattern consist of 4 or 5 different shapes. It will tell you how many of which size you need to cut from each fabric. Buy the pattern and it will all make sense. I have made one along with a lot of other member who have posted pictures of their quilts. Just post as many question as you fell necessary and will be happy to help you. Yes, Hancock does have some really nice batiks on sale !! GOOD LUCK !!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Love this pattern, have had it for years and STILL can't figure it out! Duh! I just for the life of me can't see how the blocks go together. Have to have DH look at it and "talk me through it". (He's an engineer and can see complex patterns - not that YBR is complex - while I can't. I see colors better).

Oh well...

Anita
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM

To work out how much fabric my method. I have drawn a quilt shape with number of blocks to make size I want.
Then I will make one block to the required size. Now all you have to do is multiply by the number of blocks and work out how much fabric for each. So very easy. I also add little extra incase I make a mess.