Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, it does matter

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I'm plugging away at a scrappy row-by-row sampler, and with each row I've decided to follow one more "rule" learned from you guys and a multitude of books.
    I've learned, YES, starch matters. I even starched the noodles I used.
    I've learned, YES, mark carefully. I eyeballed a row of flying geese on the small stars and the result ... well, you can figure it out
    I've learned, YES, you must square each block (and sometimes the components of each block)
    I've learned that YES, I should test my 1/4" seam and mark my machine. And I thought I knew my machine so well!
    I've learned that YES, you should re-check the design wall after a good night's sleep.
    I've learned that NO, I'm not an "experienced" quilter. At best I'm a "confident beginner" who got in trouble with being lazy and over-zealous.
    What have YOU learned that really matters?

...that at a certain point "being random" just ends up looking like a mess. There's got to be some ORDER to things, even if you're going scrappy.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have learned that patience is a virtue especially when it comes to quilting. Being in a hurry does nothing but make a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have learned that patience is a virtue especially when it comes to quilting. Being in a hurry does nothing but make a mess.
    Amen to that!

Scraps will make more scraps! It never fails everythime I am commited to using or cleaning up my scraps , by the time I am done I have just as many if not more scraps!
    Square up fabric before cutting.
    One more ....sometimes its just not a quilting day, and step away from the machine.

Don't quilt when you're tired. Too many times I've said "I'll just finish this...." and that's when I make mistakes or sew over my finger! It will all still be there in the morning to finish when I'm not so tired. (And navy blue and black fabric look alike after 10pm LOL)

I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the process, and not be in such a hurry to finish.

I've learned that a funny clicking made when the needle insert the fabric = replace the needle.

Blog Entries
    I have learned to check the board every morning. Threads like this one helps me to realize why I love quilting so much. Thanks for the lessons learned!

Quote Originally Posted by DRogers870
    I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the process, and not be in such a hurry to finish.
    Wow! Me too!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast