Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yet another Bernina question >

Yet another Bernina question

Yet another Bernina question

Old 02-05-2015, 05:54 PM

The 550 QE is a 5.5mm stitch width machine. If it's "too much machine" for your preferences, the 530 has fewer stitches. The 3 series (330, 350, and 380) have a shorter harp and fewer stitches. I have an Activa 240, from the line that preceded the 3 series. I find that it performs every bit as well as my 440 and 630, just with fewer features. It's true it doesn't have adjustable presser foot pressure, but *if* you find it too heavy overall, a tech can adjust it. My 240 and older Bernjnas don't have adjustable presser foot pressure, but I find them brilliant for patchwork and appliqué.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM

The 530 was recently on special for $1999, btw.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:16 PM

What several of you ladies don't realize is that the 1130 IS a computerized machine. I have one; the first delivered in the state of FL...even before the dealers got theirs. I LOVE it and was told essentially the same thing you were told about your 1130. My heart was broken. I have 20+ other machines including a Pfaff embroidery machine. I love the old vintage and antiques but my 1130 is my real love. I have 25-35 feet for it and didn't want to see that investment go down the drain. BUT as luck would have it, while I was at my local Pfaff dealer for help with my Pfaff, I spotted a case that looked suspiciously like the 1130 has. My immediate thought was, ah ha, a parts machine for me. I asked him about it and it was unclaimed. Knowing that my feet would also fit the 1230 that it turned out to be, I asked the price and we struck a deal once I tried its sewing capability. All that is to say, IF you love your 1130 and don't need/want the new bells and whistles watch for an 1130 or 1230 on Craigs List, Ebay, or SewItsForSale or your local dealers (let them know what you want and they will probably call you if one comes along). You have a back up machine so if your love affair with your 1130 isn't waning, stay strong and resist the siren call of those new chicks on the block. (LOL) Meanwhile you may find that she will last many more years and if you find another 1130/1230 and you like my thought of having one to use those same feet, buy it. It sure won't cost what the new ones do and you won't have to learn all about the more complex computerized machines. That leaves you more time to sew and more money for fabric.

Good Luck on making your decision! I hope whatever you choose will be the right decision for your sewing future. Let us know what you do.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM

I have heard a 1130 is a great machine. I would love to have one and keep my eye out on ebay and craigslist all the time. I suggest enjoy the machine you have, but if you don't want to PM me and I would sure be interested in purchasing your machine. I have a Bernina Activa which I love. I do suggest you keep your machine and enjoy it.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Wow! So much information to think about. I am still not sure whether I want to give up my 1130. She seems to be getting a little noisier (my memory could be slipping), but she still sews like a dream. The allure of a brand new machine is so tempting, my last new one was my 1976 Athena 2000 that I sewed on for 26 years before Singer decided not to make replacement parts for her anymore. My other machines have all been previously owned, even this 1130. I think I might look more closely at the 530 before making a decision. It seems that the 550 may be biting off more than I can chew, especially since I don't FMQ. Whatever I decide, there will be a Bernina on my sewing table. It feels solid and I feel confident sewing on it. Again, thanks for all the wonderful and thoughtful input. I know I can count on the QB members for help. :-)
Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM

I have a Bernina 1031 that I bought new in 1992, its still getting used today; despite the fancy Pfaff 4.2 that I bought in September. I've bought newer Berninas over the years and they've all gone to new homes, because I don't like some of the things that don't work the way I like.
Sharon in Texas