Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yet Another Question... >

Yet Another Question...

Yet Another Question...

Old 11-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Default Yet Another Question...

I've asked here before about using a micro-fibre blanket to back a quilt (no additional batting). No, the quilt top is done and I'm going to make the sandwich soon. On my last quilt, I've used glue basting for the first time and just LOVED it! However, I'm wondering now if that would work with a micro-fibre blanket, too? Any experiences?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM

I have used all kinds of things for quilt backs, including poly and microfiber. I am also a fan of glue basting! Here's what I do in these cases when the top is cotton and the back is not. I lay the back down wrong side up, put the glue on the back and place the top right side up on the glue. I use an iron to help set the glue, but since it isn't advisable to put the iron to poly, I always iron on the quilt top side. I learned this lesson the hard way when I ironed some fabric that was actually 80% cotton and 20% poly and it melted the edges. As long as you set the glue (I use liquid for this) with the iron from the top it will still work on poly or microfiber. But iron just enough to set the glue so there is not too much heat applied to the poly back.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
I have used all kinds of things for quilt backs, including poly and microfiber. I am also a fan of glue basting! Here's what I do in these cases when the top is cotton and the back is not. I lay the back down wrong side up, put the glue on the back and place the top right side up on the glue. I use an iron to help set the glue, but since it isn't advisable to put the iron to poly, I always iron on the quilt top side. I learned this lesson the hard way when I ironed some fabric that was actually 80% cotton and 20% poly and it melted the edges. As long as you set the glue (I use liquid for this) with the iron from the top it will still work on poly or microfiber. But iron just enough to set the glue so there is not too much heat applied to the poly back.
You iron the glue? Never thought of that... We're talking washable school glue, right?
Old 11-21-2015, 02:11 PM

Yes, washable school glue -- I like the clear glue if I can find it. I sometimes dilute it up to 50% (for all cotton) but I don't dilute it that much when I'm trying to baste non cotton fabrics. Poly seems to need full strength for holding power. I find that putting a little heat to the sandwich helps to set the glue. It seems to stick to both sides a little better after pressing with a little heat. Not too much on the poly though!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:05 PM

Why do you favor school glue for basting over the adhesive spray that's sold for the same purpose? What are the advantages?
Old 11-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Why do you favor school glue for basting over the adhesive spray that's sold for the same purpose? What are the advantages?
I use 505 spray and love it. But it is WAY more expensive than washable glue. I think the end results are the same, cost is the big difference.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Cost is the big difference for me, but spray basting also has more cleanup (overspray) and has fumes that can be toxic in an enclosed area. Glue is so much simpler for me to use.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 PM

I have used both June Taylor's spray adhesive, as well as the Dritz...great results from both of them. The idea of painting watered down school glue on fabric seems over the top for me.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 PM

I don't "paint" the glue on with a brush, or even very carefully at all. I just hold the bottle over the fabric and drizzle it quickly in circles all over the fabric. I have used spray, but the overspray, fumes and cost are why I prefer cheap washable school glue. I've never had a problem washing it out. So I confess to using the glue because I'm cheap and lazy!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 AM

Yes, costs are THE argument for school glue vs. adhesive spray for me. As I said, I've only used it once, but I did as RavenLunaStitch describes - I just drizzled it over the fabric. It was fast, clean, and the result was great! Now I'm going to try to add heat to set it even better next time!