Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yet another smoke smell problem!

My "new to me" Viking Rose:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152287-1.htm

I've wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, Fabuloso, vinegar and Odoban.. to no avail.

Obviously (and unfortunately) I can't submerge it.

Has anyone ever tried putting a sewing machine into a large plastic box filled with charcoal and securing a lid on top?
    I'm considering giving this route a whirl.
    This smell is absolutely overbearing to me.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
    It sews beautifully and I'd like to really enjoy sewing on it!

Try bounce fabric softener sheets. Keep a couple in your case when you are not using it.

Blog Entries
    Irish Spring soap closed in a case has been recommended for wooden cases and vintage machines that have an odor. It might work with a plastic machine, too. I'd put some Irish Spring in the case and set the whole thing in the sun if you have somewhere you can do that.

Blog Entries
    I would go the charcoal route. My featherweight case smelled horribly of mold. Tried everything -- sunlight, heat, soap, softener sheets. Nothing got rid of the smell. Then I bought a pair of OdorEaters charcoal shoe inserts and put them in the case with the machine. After two weeks, no more odor! Ever! (The OdorEaters provide some nice cushioning in the case, so I just keep them in there permanently now.)

Charcoal is one of the best for actually absorbing odors instead of masking them. On Amazon you can buy something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Bamboo-Ch...pr_product_top

This is great information to know. thanks for the tips.

Maybe a couple of drops of vanilla extract. Someone told me about that when they had a moldy smell in their cooler.

The hard case is actually a slip over cover, not a completely enclosed case.
    The cover also reeks.
    Which brings me back to the large plastic box with a lid. :)

I've deodorized my FW case.. (much easier to approach as it's enclosed) but it wasn't near as bad as this. :(

Try wiping it all down with a strong solution of vinegar and water.

We had a fire in our basement, and the whole house reeked of smoke. The "Fire/Smoke Clean up Crew" came in, and washed all the walls, ceiling, etc., etc., and I mean everything, with a strong solution of vinegar and water! You'd have thought they'd use some exotic chemical, but no, just vinegar and water. Of course the carpets either had to be replaced (where the fire was) or cleaned, and all that. But I swear that vinegar and water took away the smoke smell. They also used charcoal filters and absorbers, so I absolutely agree with using that as well. You may have to do it more than once, and maybe it doesn't work on plastic, I don't know. But they said vinegar is the only thing that will dissolve the tars and resins left by smoke.

Worth a try a least!

Warmest Regards,

Blog Entries
    That's wonderful to know!

Banned
    I would be concerned about moisture from the substance used to get rid of the odor. Have you sent a message to the company asking their advice. Check the company web site for frequently asked questions. Or might check with a local dealer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast