Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes! Has this ever happened to you? >

Yikes! Has this ever happened to you?

Yikes! Has this ever happened to you?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Default Yikes! Has this ever happened to you?

Thought I was going to have a nice cozy quilt with minky on the back to donate to a fund raiser. Hmmmm. This is what happened when I started quilting. Took out all the stitches and tried hand quilting - same thing happened. It is worse than "bearding". The fleece is pulling to the top of the quilt. Yuk! Now I am hoping that I will get the cotton backing that I ordered to replace the minky in time to get it done. Fund raiser is on March 19th. They will let me bring it in on that day. God love them. Here's hoping that I will make it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544096[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilting-mess.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Yes this has happened to me. Some suggest using a denser batting like W&N. But when it happened to me I had two layers of batting! A layer of 80/20 and Hobbs Polydown on top of that. I tried changing to larger needles, still the same, then a smaller needle, still happened. Others suggest using a more slippery thread like poly. I was using cotton thread. But I wasn't about to experiment further with it. So I ended up giving up on the minky and went with a cotton backing and no more problem. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Some minky will do that and others won't.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

I think minky is very over rated for use in a quilt. It makes a nice baby blanket.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Oh My! I am glad you posted a picture to warn us. Sorry you had to have the bad experience.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:49 PM

I'm wondering if you would have better luck quilting it from the back rather than the front? Sounds weird and maybe it wouldn't make a difference, but since the top thread grabs the bobbin thread and pulls upwards, it may be pulling the minke fibres up with it. So maybe quilting on the minke side, would it combat this issue?
Old 03-05-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Yes this has happened to me. Some suggest using a denser batting like W&N. But when it happened to me I had two layers of batting! A layer of 80/20 and Hobbs Polydown on top of that. I tried changing to larger needles, still the same, then a smaller needle, still happened. Others suggest using a more slippery thread like poly. I was using cotton thread. But I wasn't about to experiment further with it. So I ended up giving up on the minky and went with a cotton backing and no more problem. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Some minky will do that and others won't.
I decided to remove the stitches. (Had used adhesive to hold together.) Pulled the minky off the back and laundered it. It is fine. I have several fat quarters left over from the front so I am going to cut squares, sew them together for the backing, use a batting and quilt them together. This will work and maybe I will be done before the fundraiser. Lesson learned. Thank you for you story. It helps to know that it happens and you have to move on. Yolanda
Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think minky is very over rated for use in a quilt. It makes a nice baby blanket.
Have always felt that. Minky is a substance unto itself, why try to change into something else? So sorry this happened to you.

Jan in VA
Old 03-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I would have tried to stitch it from the back if possible. I sewed with Minky once and never want to deal with that stuff again.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:15 PM

It really is best if you use a minky color that coordinates with the fabric on the quilt top. It is hard to do when using fabrics with such a high contrast.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Honestly, no, knock on wood. I have used minky backing on several quilts without any problems. Sorry this happened for you and your generous donation.