Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a "particular" buyer, when it comes to batiks? >

Are you a "particular" buyer, when it comes to batiks?

Are you a "particular" buyer, when it comes to batiks?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by QKO
Nancy, have you seen the new Hoffman Woodcuts yet? We got some of them in, and they're really different.

They went back to the old-time wooden "chops" which give a different, somewhat softer-edged effect than the normal copper "chops." Don't know if they're going to keep doing them, but the ones they've done are really unique!
We got a few new Hoffman batiks about a week ago, but I don't remember our rep calling them "Woodcuts". Are they on your site to look at?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I like the Hoffman bali hand dyes, but I look at all brands, I don't discriminate, at least not on purpose. I love the mottled batiks like those from Hoffman bali batiks, and their batik dots. I think the ones I like the best are the large mottled batiks with several colors in one fabric or several colors in the same color family - likes blues to turqoise to purple, or reds swirling in different shades of read, then going to purples and blues. The colors have to be vibrant, but there also needs to be lighter batiks as well. I like some that are over-printed with things like fish or whatever, but I'd like them to be soft, and not the stamping to really stick out. I'm sure I have totally confused myself and you, but it's a tough question to answer. Mostly, I guess it's what strikes my fancy at the time and what I want to make. I saw a gorgeous Boston Commons quilt done in batiks that was made by someone in Heartbeat Quilts. I never found the lighter blue background I wanted, so I went with one slightly darker than I would have liked, but I was getting anxious about finding the right color, and I had a limited amount of time that day. I have searched for years for the right colors, as I want the lighter batiks in the center, then the lighter blue, then slightly darker, blues, turquoise, purples and the last area of batiks to be darker blues, turquoise and purples. I found the perfect border fabric in a printed batik, however, not only havne't I finished the quilt, I haven't even started it. I hope what they say is true "Fabric has to age like fine wine!" It's still on my Rountdoit List,but need to make a wedding quilt for my son and DIL, plus several baby quilts, and quilted items for a craft fair in Nov., so my quilt will wait.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by QKO
Nancy, have you seen the new Hoffman Woodcuts yet? We got some of them in, and they're really different.

They went back to the old-time wooden "chops" which give a different, somewhat softer-edged effect than the normal copper "chops." Don't know if they're going to keep doing them, but the ones they've done are really unique!
We got a few new Hoffman batiks about a week ago, but I don't remember our rep calling them "Woodcuts". Are they on your site to look at?
Sorry, I was wrong on the name, they're called "Woodprints." I don't have them up on my site yet, but some of the pattern numbers on Hoffman's site are J2351 through J2354. They're pretty different!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 PM

I don't care for the spotchy look. I love the Carribean blue/green. I also like the tone on tone. As far as color I have certain colors I like and if I see something and it looks good I'll buy it. My favorite colors are blue, green,,purple,pink. It would be nice if the colors were dark/light to match etc. Hope this helps you. Sue
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM

I love the look of the tone on tone batiks rather than the heavily patterned ones. I've been warned about batiks bleeding in the cheaper lines, so I usually stick to brand names I recognize like Timeless Treasures, Hoffman, etc.

I love how they blend colors! They sure do make a beautiful quilt. Getting ready to start on one with the Maple Leaf pattern all in various colors of batiks; gold, brown, green, burgundies, orange, yellows and blues. Excited about making it!