Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales? >

Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales?

Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I have shopped at Joanne 2 times on black Friday. I avoid all shopping until Monday or so, and then it is my day-to-day normal stuff (milk, bread, quick sewing stuff). I hate this time of year, so to me, this is a nuisance.
I just do not understand the hype...for what? To fight crowds to save maybe a few cents? To me, not worth it.
Please, move Christmas back to Christmas.
I agree totally. If they were giving things away, I would not go. It is madness out there and people get hurt in it.
I will wait for anything I want.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM

I used to LOVE shopping on Black Friday but no more. I'm too old to fight the crowds or to wait in long lines. (And the parking lots are a whole other story!) My dear daughter and her adult daughter are already scoping out the sales flyers in preparation for Friday.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 PM

I worked in retail for 13 years..before the stores felt the need to open on Thanksgiving . People did not camp out for days either. I am not saying that people should not go shopping on Black Friday...no one here has admitted to be in a tent as they posted either, LOL!

Hey, it is fun to be in the crowds, spend time with friends and family hitting the stores, etc. i always enjoyed working Black Friday...the day went fast and the people watching was fun. Now...I dont like the parking situation and frankly, i dont have a list of gifts to buy. I plan on sewing the weekend away, heading to a craft show on Saturday and enjoying a stress free weekend.

So....enjoy the shopping or whatever you plan to do on Black Friday. Be safe!
Sandy
Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
Locally we are having "Support Your Local Business Saturday." I plan on going to our LQS and doing my share of shopping to help!
I believe in this one too. I usually just walk around our tiny downtown and pick up a few things here and there to support small businesses. None of the stuff they have on those big sales - electronics, appliances, etc. - are things we need. I like the local craft sales and bazaars at churches and schools in our area on the first Sat. in Dec. It's fun, they have great homemade goodies, some lovely bargains. It's all about community to me. We only use the big boxes when necessary. Of course Country Treasures quilt shop is a mile from me in our little town, so I might just have to stop in on Saturday.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM

No black friday for me!! I do not mind the crowds,I really enjoy the hussel and bussel of shoppers, Christmas carols, fresh snow, the smell of pine, hot chocolate, standing in line with grands to sit on Santa's lap is all good, but it seams that on Black Friday there is that one someone who always ruins it for everyone else. You all know who I'm talking about, that someone who has to push and shove to get to that great buy and doesn't mind who they shove ,elbow, or step on to get there, only to arrive and be mad because the add said limited quanitys, and they want 6 with only 5 left. Or how about that poor child who's parent pulls them out of bed too early so they cry and scream at the top of there lungs all the time they are being draged through the store! Do not even get me started about check out lines, LOL 15 registers and only 4 open!! Everyone compaining because the need to get to the next black friday sale! Nope no Black Friday for me! I'll wait a week or two then hit the stores when it's more fun! LOL
Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM

You could not pay me enough to go to a store tomorrow. lol I don't like to shop any time so I definitely won't be out tomorrow. The best part of Thanksgiving is the quiet Friday when I don't have to leave the house.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM

No no no donot do black fridays. Way too many people and what i have seen the people are
pretty rude with trying to be the first one to get in the store.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 PM

I was going to go to Joanns but then I realized I would only save about 12 cents a yard vs ordering online (flannel) because of the free shipping coupon. So I ordered my 16 yards tonight and saved 3 hours in the cutting line (that was last years time...I got there when the store opened. There was nearly no flannel left when I left- the charity groups buy hundreds upon hundreds of yards.)

I did notice online stock was very low already.

On Saturday I might go in to see what quilting fabric is on sale- I need some cheap stock builders, and some fabric to use for binding.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

I have a friend who is going out tonight-- Thanksgiving night-- to start Black Friday shopping. She and her friend will be out all night long going from sale to sale. She has a ball doing it. NOT ME. I can't believe the greedy stores have backed up the Black Friday sales to Thanksgiving night! I would be more inclined to boycott a store that encroached on Thanksgiving. I hate the traffic snarls, fighting to find parking, tons of irritable people shopping, the stores just trashed and stuff strewn all about and the staff to busy to pick up the stuff off the floors... and then the lines to check out. I would much rather pay more money later to avoid all that. I can't think of a more unpleasant experience, but to each, his own...
Our family is spending money on a vacation together at Christmas this year, so we aren't giving gifts. Hallelujah!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 PM

I bought some snuggle flannel online @ Joann's but thats all...I might go out just for a little bit later on tomorrow to eat ice cream and walk around the mall for fun...and if I find something awesome, if not I'm not worried, I love to shop but I won't get up that early for it haha...I wish they had more stuff in stock in the online stores so I could do all my shopping by the click of my finger...thats they way to go happy shopping.