Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you quilt worthy? >

Are you quilt worthy?

Are you quilt worthy?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i guess i don't fit in - i make quilts for my pets every year.

i don't see anything wrong with my friends asking me to make a quilt for their pets.
I don't see anything wrong with your making quilts for your pets. I had a small dog for 13 years before she became ill. She had a small quilt that she cuddled everytime I sat down to do hand work. Whether quilting, crocheting or cutting, Peewee had her little quilt between her front paws.
I don't see anything wrong with making quilts for your pets, I have made them for mine too. The problem I have is the quilt that's thrown in the corner of the garage, dirty and cobwebby "for the dog". It's okay for a dog to have a quilt, but for heavens' sake, don't treat it like a rag.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Bearlea: I agree and stated in my post that a gift is given and once it's out of our hands that's it. My complaint and I think others feel the same, after a certain age (say 21) everyone should know the amount of work that a hand made object (knitted, crocheted, sewn) has in it. My DIL is 35-she's seen me quilting yet when the dog threw up she grabbed the quilt I made and threw it over the area on the rug with puke on it. Wouldn't you be a little hurt and more than a little angry?? Aren't paper towels invented for that?? I also saw her use a quilt her grandmother made to line the back seat of her car so the kids wouldn't get mud on the seat after soccer practice. Is this someone you would make another quilt for?? If so, bless you, you are more forgiving than I am.
I make many charity quilts and many qults for children and they are used for whatever purpose. I expect more from adults. I don't think it's fair to "look down" on us that feel our quilts deserve more respect than the car upholstery.
I completely agree!!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:25 PM

i haven't been charitable enough yet to make quilts for charity (much) every quilt i give is to someone i care about and want to make happy. but you are right, there is just a lot of blood sweat and tears & $ put into ANY quilt. and the people i care about usually love my quilts to pieces. and wash and wear them out. that's the life i want for any of my gifted quilts.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Application question:
"Do you promise to love, honor, and cherish this quilt 'til death do you part?"
Well, it's almost that personal!
You got this right :lol: They are that personal to me :thumbup:
Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Bearlea: I agree and stated in my post that a gift is given and once it's out of our hands that's it. My complaint and I think others feel the same, after a certain age (say 21) everyone should know the amount of work that a hand made object (knitted, crocheted, sewn) has in it. My DIL is 35-she's seen me quilting yet when the dog threw up she grabbed the quilt I made and threw it over the area on the rug with puke on it. Wouldn't you be a little hurt and more than a little angry?? Aren't paper towels invented for that?? I also saw her use a quilt her grandmother made to line the back seat of her car so the kids wouldn't get mud on the seat after soccer practice. Is this someone you would make another quilt for?? If so, bless you, you are more forgiving than I am.
I make many charity quilts and many qults for children and they are used for whatever purpose. I expect more from adults. I don't think it's fair to "look down" on us that feel our quilts deserve more respect than the car upholstery.

I also agree , children are one thing , but your so right adults
should know better!!!! :thumbup:
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso
i haven't been charitable enough yet to make quilts for charity (much) every quilt i give is to someone i care about and want to make happy. but you are right, there is just a lot of blood sweat and tears & $ put into ANY quilt. and the people i care about usually love my quilts to pieces. and wash and wear them out. that's the life i want for any of my gifted quilts.
That's the exact reason I sew quilts for charity, to be loved and cherished. Just because I don't know that sick child doesn't mean he or she shouldn't have a quilt made with my love and caring hands. Look at their faces in the pictures on the QFK website and you will see how much they appreciate their gift.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 AM

I just put a lot of hard work and time and physical pain into making a Biscuit Quilt for a baby and I know that the mother's not going to lock it up but I'm ok with that. I guess what would bother me is if I made an heirloom quilt or something that was meant to be treasured and was asked for that purpose and it was purposely treated badly. I went into this latest project knowing that it was for a baby and that it was a lot of work and time so I think that's what makes it easier knowing that it will most likely get stained or ripped. At first, earlier in this post, I thought I would be upset but then I remembered all the love and fun I had with my Gram's quilts growing up and when something would rip or tear, her mother (my Great Gram) would say something like, "It's not worth hurting the child's feelings." I love that and recently had a moment to repeat those words to my girls when one accidently broke a china dish. A child's heart is eternal, something tangible is not. =)
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM

What I don't know and don't see won't hurt me. I can relate to everything you said. C'est la vie, I guess.