Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk! >

Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk!

Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM

I have a 10' Grace Pinnacle frame with a Janome 1600P on it...I have pattern perfect templates on my frame so if I want to set a quilting pattern in it and just pull it across my quilt I can but I enjoy free motion and experimenting much more! haha...the biggest quilt I have done on it was a queen 92" X 108"... I have an old ALCO domestic sewing machine my mom gave me and I use that for all my piecing then I pin and roll my quilt onto my frame and quilt it...My Janome doesn't have all kinds of bells and whistles on it but it stitches really fast haha and I have a Grace stitch regulator on it which is really nice so I can just concentrate on my designs...I got my whole set of craigslist for $1000! super find! I really want to down the road get a long arm (I just cant afford it right now) and also replace my ALCO with a new Singer with all the cool crazy stitches you can do on it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 AM

Someone may have already posted, but I learned to use blue painters tape on the panto (paper) to mark the edge of the quilt so you don't run off of the edge. Hope this tip helps you as it made a huge difference for me.

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I have a Baby Lock Jane on a frame and it is mostly just sitting there taking up too much room.
The space to quilt on is so small that even a lap quilt is too big.
My table is an Imperial with very large rods that take up way to much room on my 9 inch throat.
The strait stitch machine has a complicated threading and a under the machine bobbin so have to move the machine to the far end of the table to change the bobbin and to rethread.
I do have a stitch regulator which costs $500 but it is wonderful.
Tried to do pantos but needle kept getting caught on edge of quilt since you cannot see the edge from behind the machine.
From the front of the machine quilting is much better but need to do free motion or marking a quilt pattern.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
I have a Viking Mega quilter with frame and wish the dealer had it back.
What don't you like about it?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 AM

I purchased a Viking Mega Quilter with the Inspira frame from Craigslist and I'm very happy with it. I mainly do pantos and stipple/meandering. I've recently ordered a foot, table and rulers to play with doing ruler work.
Attached Thumbnails mega-quilter.jpg  

Last edited by normasews; 12-17-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM

I find the space to quilt is to small by the time you get to the end of the quilt. You start out with 8 inches or so and are lucky if you have 4 inches at the end. If you like doing the pantos only you are fine but an over all pattern you are limited. Send me a pm if interested in buying. I live near San Francisco.
Originally Posted by normasews View Post
What don't you like about it?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

I have been eyeballing this exact machine for months and trying to justify purchasing another machine. In a past life, I sewed in the garment industry using an industrial Brothers machine and loved it. Your machine stitches 1500 stitches per minute compared to my Bernina 180's, 1100 SPM. It is amazing how many women use their domestic machine to free motion quilt and have wonderful quilts. I am learning free motion quilting, taking a class online. Practice, practice, practice!!!! Not being familiar with your frame, I'm wondering about the ease and freedom of movement. I think you are going to love your machine and hope you will keep us posted with your progress.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
I have a 10' Grace Pinnacle frame with a Janome 1600P on it...the biggest quilt I have done on it was a queen 92" X 108"... I got my whole set of craigslist for $1000! super find!
Wow, this was a great buy. So, please tell us how you quilted your big quilt. Did you use a panto? Did you have to turn it? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 AM

wow this is new to me!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM

I found my frame was not wide e nough for large quilts so I started splitting them to fit. The speed I control by the lever on my machines and take out the foot plug and stop start on the start button. I find I have to use it for short spells . If I spend 2 hours on the frame I am stiff and unable to move for the next few days.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by debquilts2 View Post
what kind of frame would you get if you are new to short arm quilting??? And what price would you pay looking for one but would like a good one for not alot of money?? Can anyone help
I just watched all of ken's u tube videos and I am really considering getting this. looking for opinions.