Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you...... >

Are you......

Are you......

Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
an ''undercover'' cop??? This is my new description of a silent member of the quilt police....someone who doesn't like another persons quilt but doesn't open their mouth and give their opinion!!

What do you think??

jodi in leavenworth
I don't think it would be nice to say "I don't like" some one's work when they did work so hard on it--and maybe feeling bad already. I try to find something good or nothing at all. I don't like to hurt people--I don't like to be hurt so I try to think of them.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
an ''undercover'' cop??? This is my new description of a silent member of the quilt police....someone who doesn't like another persons quilt but doesn't open their mouth and give their opinion!!

What do you think??

jodi in leavenworth
Well, my mother always said "if you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut" so I have followed that rule all my life - no reason to change now... :)
Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 PM

I would never criticize another persons work. If asked for my honest opinion I would offer suggestions but never criticize.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 PM

I think I always find something to compliment the quiltmaker with. If I were to say anything negative I couldn't admit to being a quilter for fear of having the same done to me.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Right?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Over a year ago I went to a quilt camp run by a famous quilter who has his own magazine. After we all worked on our blocks for the mystery quilts we put them up on design walls. At one point I heard this teacher say to a quilter, "Oh, yours really sucks!!!" and then he walked on to the next quilter. I was devastated for the poor woman. Granted, not every quilt will be Houston or Paducah material, but what a thing to say to someone! I think he is not a cruel person, but I'm not sure that he understood how damaging a comment like that is, even it he possibly meant it as a joke (???). We all need not to undermine each other's efforts, after all we wouldn't want someone to be unkind to us. Besides, beauty, in the end, really is in the eye of the beholder. I lost respect for this man as a teacher...people paid good money for his help not his ridicule.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Jim

"Art is in the eye of the beholder", , I appreciate the and admire everyone's talent. I learn from everyone. I can't say someone's work is hideous, so much labor and dedication goes into making it, besides they may think the same thing about mine. BUT, rarely have I ever seen a quilt on this QB that I have not liked for more than one reason.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilter in the making
After having to rush to finish two quilts for Christmas presents this week I definitely have to categorize myself as a novice quilter as I noticed tons of imperfections in my quilts that I wish I would have had time to correct. However, to nonquilters I suppose they are wonderful creations as those that have seen them keep complimenting them (they must have flown by on a galloping horse). Thankfully we all have different likes and dislikes as I keep seeing projects of others that are great inspirations to me and I see others that I can walk away from easily. Good thing I don't love everything as I'm already in the mode of too many patterns, too little time. I would never criticize anything that another person has created as I know only too well that each of us has our own step that is very difficult to us. To improve in our skills means we have to keep practicing and if we get too much criticism we tend to quit creating which means we don't get the practice to improve. I would never want to be a person to stop someone from being creative. Sew on my friends, sew on. Merry Christmas to all!!
Well said. Thankfully we are all different and none of us is perfect. Compliments of the season to you all.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Sometimes I consider myself more of a lurker. I try not to give a negative opinion as I don't want to hurt anyone.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
My mother taught me "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I would never say anything bad about someone's quilt/work. But I always try to find something nice to say...even if it's "good job" or "nice quilt".
My mother always said the same thing...however, she had no problem telling me everything that was wrong with what I did.

Some of us just enjoy looking at all the wonderful quilts without making comments. This doesn't make any of us quiet quilt police.