Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

After seeing the filing cabinet idea for hanging fabric in I could kick myself for not buying the one a found at Habitat for Humanity; it was a five drawer cabinet for $15. They have the best bargains and I always check there before going to Goodwill.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 AM

i only donate @ s a because if a family in the comm. loses their home to fire or flood they get whatever they need for free
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 AM

goodwill sells on their site also
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Our local charity store doesn't even price anything anymore. If you are interested in something you have to drag it to the checkout counter and after the clerk sizes you up, they make up a price to suit what they think they can soak you for. Definitely have different prices for different folks...

I used to donate nice clothes there a LOT, but the last time I was in the back (warehouse) part of the store where the bigger things are sold, I noticed this huge machine like a trash compactor-- it actually BALED UP loads of clothing into gigantic 'bricks'. I have no idea what they do with these (landfil?) but the back part of the warehouse was stacked to the roof with them. My guess is they don't even look at the clothes you donate... just throw it in the baler!

I go there to keep an eye out for used sewing machines and/or fabric, but they probably wouldn't sell it to me for what I could pay.
I work for Dolese, where I drive a mixer truck. (before getting hurt on the job)

And they buy rags for cleaning the truck and they come in boxes, so those clothes might be where they are headed! Its a shame especially if there nice ones.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 AM

My friend is really into the thrift stores so I go with her sometimes. Once I found some fabric and I got a whole bag of 100% cotton mens shirts for $1. they had a deal where you get all you can stuff in the bag for the $1. Great for scrap quilts. Usually though I do not find anything I would buy. My friend will buy shampoo, lotions, shoes?? etc...YUCK! I would not do that!!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Guess I'll have to start putting my contributions out by the road with FREE on it. Things are never there the next morning.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM

I have found much better pricing at small thrift stores at church, hospital, charity run locations.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM

I have noticed alot of goodwill store opening up in small shopping centers that are just donation sites. Also they so provide paying jobs for special needs people - I have a cousin that works at their warehouse. I'm thinking maybe their overhead is increasing alot causing the prices to skyrocket like all the businesses.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Goodwill must be the same all over. We have a Goodwill in Blue Springs, MO. and the prices are "double-take" for stuff I've thrown away! In the same shopping center is a DAV (Disabled Veterans) and it is loaded with "bargains". They price their goods to move them. Guess where all the cars are parked?? Yep, at DAV. I love going there and donate a lot of items to them. I quit donating to Goodwill a long time ago.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM

I find Goodwill's prices have risen way out of reason in the last 5 or 6 years, and most of the stuff looks like garage sale leftovers. I don't know where their profits go, but due to their prices and since they don't help anyone in our area anyway, I don't shop there anymore. The Salvation Army & Brother's Keeper in our county help the needy with food, shelter and getting jobs so I go to their stores when I can. If I'm staying close to home I shop in a local church's thrift store where I can stuff a bag full of anything they have for a buck or two, depending on the size of the bag.