Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Wow! I've seen some unrealistic listings on Craigs List but these ones kinda take the cake. I bought a NEW file drawer like the one pictured for $29.99 (on sale).
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM

OMG!!!!! How do they expect to be able to help ANYBODY
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

I have seen so much of this at our local SA and thrift shops, that I just had to ask today, WHY the prices were so high on donated items that are clearly NOT fixed up, NOT cleaned up, and in well used condition..

this very nice Christian lady(at the Christian run thrift shop) said to me: " well, we can get that price for it on ebay"!

I always knew that this particular store sold on ebay, especially vintage jewelry, good clothing, books, and all sewing machines,,,,but really....WE the general public are NOT ebay and when I donate something to a LOCAL charity, I expect my money to stay local!

Needless to say, I doubt I will donate anything there again much less shop there! Seriously thinking about writing an article the paper!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Our local charity store doesn't even price anything anymore. If you are interested in something you have to drag it to the checkout counter and after the clerk sizes you up, they make up a price to suit what they think they can soak you for. Definitely have different prices for different folks...

I used to donate nice clothes there a LOT, but the last time I was in the back (warehouse) part of the store where the bigger things are sold, I noticed this huge machine like a trash compactor-- it actually BALED UP loads of clothing into gigantic 'bricks'. I have no idea what they do with these (landfil?) but the back part of the warehouse was stacked to the roof with them. My guess is they don't even look at the clothes you donate... just throw it in the baler!

I go there to keep an eye out for used sewing machines and/or fabric, but they probably wouldn't sell it to me for what I could pay.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM

You have to be there right time...I got chaise loungers sells 150.00 at lowes..someone brought 6 in was price 10.00 each and then I got Senior Discount...all 6 or 8.00 each....48.00 plus tax....best find I ever FOUND! my sister got 3 so I can use her Pool....lol and I kept 3..!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Our local charity store doesn't even price anything anymore. If you are interested in something you have to drag it to the checkout counter and after the clerk sizes you up, they make up a price to suit what they think they can soak you for. Definitely have different prices for different folks...

I used to donate nice clothes there a LOT, but the last time I was in the back (warehouse) part of the store where the bigger things are sold, I noticed this huge machine like a trash compactor-- it actually BALED UP loads of clothing into gigantic 'bricks'. I have no idea what they do with these (landfil?) but the back part of the warehouse was stacked to the roof with them. My guess is they don't even look at the clothes you donate... just throw it in the baler!

I go there to keep an eye out for used sewing machines and/or fabric, but they probably wouldn't sell it to me for what I could pay.
they ship them off to 3rd world countries!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Ours is really high too, I am waiting for rummage sales!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!! What a bummer :(
Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 PM

You are right, their prices are way too high. I've noticed that around here too. Since there are more thrift customers due to unemployment and pay freezes, their prices are rising. I still look for fabric every time I go near one.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM

I always thought that because the items were donated, that they were very very cheap do that less unfortunate can afford something. I'm serious when I say that Target and Walmart have same prices but for brand new not all banged up and ugly. They had tons of VHS movies for 5.00. I just bought DVD's at Wally World for 5 bucks that were new. I don't get it. This is a non profit organization right? A 501c3? It just seems to me that the prices defeat the purpose. Of providing goods at a much lower cost.