Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Your favorite applique quilt pattern - need advice please

Your favorite applique quilt pattern - need advice please

Howdy

Next month we have a dutch fabric market over here in my town. And I want to buy some fabric for a new quilt. But I canít decide what kind of quilt I want to make. Oh, I know the next one should be one with a lot of appliques. But Iím not sure about colours or a pattern. So please give me some advice! What applique quilts are your favourites? What pattern do you like? What colours? I am open for everything, except green. The quilt I am working on right now is an irish triple chain with a lot of green. Thatís why I would like prefer some other colours or only a bit green for the next quilt.

Thanks a lot, nakotha

Blog Entries
    I've always loved a Baltimore Album quilt. It can be done in your choice of colors. The shapes can be simple or detailed. It gets my vote
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T Ė is it True? H Ė is it Helpful? I Ė is it Inspiring? N Ė is it Necessary? K Ė is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I agree with Nancy above. Baltimore Album or anything with flowers.

Oki dokey, thanks.
    Baltimore Album, is it almost the same like Southern Gentlemen?
    It looks similar, a bit.
    Last edited by nakotha; 05-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
    Howdy

Next month we have a dutch fabric market over here in my town. And I want to buy some fabric for a new quilt. But I can’t decide what kind of quilt I want to make. Oh, I know the next one should be one with a lot of appliques. But I’m not sure about colours or a pattern. So please give me some advice! What applique quilts are your favourites? What pattern do you like? What colours? I am open for everything, except green. The quilt I am working on right now is an irish triple chain with a lot of green. That’s why I would like prefer some other colours or only a bit green for the next quilt.

Thanks a lot, nakotha

If you want something you can have done in a month I'd do a jelly roll quilt and add giant appliqued flowers. I don't think a Baltimore Album quilt is something you're going to get done in a month.

Blog Entries
    Check out Affairs of the Heart, http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Maste.../dp/157432859X
    I am slowly working through the book and loving it. There has been a group sew here on the board and everyones colour combinations are gorgeous Affairs of the Heart - Finished Quilt Photos
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

If you are only giving yourself a month to make this quilt from start to finish; I would suggest another Irish Chain in different colors and maybe applique Sunbonnet Sues. I believe Sunbonnet Sue/Colonial Lady is the most popular applique pattern of all time and one of the highest selling embroidery transfers.
    Beverly

Me personally my favorite is ryan mckenna's designs. I also have books from carol armstrong and bea olgelsby, and like their designs

Check out Darcy Ashton's books if you like animals. I really love her patterns.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!
    Nahhh, the fabric market is next month. But i have no time limit for making the quilt. And if it takes me till 2017, this will be ok
    Well, I took a little nap and am a bit clearer about the colours. The main colours will be either blue and yellow or black and turquoise. But with some coloured points or effects here and there.