Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Your favorite applique quilt pattern - need advice please

Your favorite applique quilt pattern - need advice please

Howdy

Next month we have a dutch fabric market over here in my town. And I want to buy some fabric for a new quilt. But I canít decide what kind of quilt I want to make. Oh, I know the next one should be one with a lot of appliques. But Iím not sure about colours or a pattern. So please give me some advice! What applique quilts are your favourites? What pattern do you like? What colours? I am open for everything, except green. The quilt I am working on right now is an irish triple chain with a lot of green. Thatís why I would like prefer some other colours or only a bit green for the next quilt.

Thanks a lot, nakotha

Blog Entries
    I've always loved a Baltimore Album quilt. It can be done in your choice of colors. The shapes can be simple or detailed. It gets my vote
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I agree with Nancy above. Baltimore Album or anything with flowers.

Oki dokey, thanks.
    Baltimore Album, is it almost the same like Southern Gentlemen?
    It looks similar, a bit.
    Last edited by nakotha; 05-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
    Howdy

Next month we have a dutch fabric market over here in my town. And I want to buy some fabric for a new quilt. But I can’t decide what kind of quilt I want to make. Oh, I know the next one should be one with a lot of appliques. But I’m not sure about colours or a pattern. So please give me some advice! What applique quilts are your favourites? What pattern do you like? What colours? I am open for everything, except green. The quilt I am working on right now is an irish triple chain with a lot of green. That’s why I would like prefer some other colours or only a bit green for the next quilt.

Thanks a lot, nakotha

If you want something you can have done in a month I'd do a jelly roll quilt and add giant appliqued flowers. I don't think a Baltimore Album quilt is something you're going to get done in a month.

Blog Entries
    Check out Affairs of the Heart, http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Maste.../dp/157432859X
    I am slowly working through the book and loving it. There has been a group sew here on the board and everyones colour combinations are gorgeous Affairs of the Heart - Finished Quilt Photos
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

If you are only giving yourself a month to make this quilt from start to finish; I would suggest another Irish Chain in different colors and maybe applique Sunbonnet Sues. I believe Sunbonnet Sue/Colonial Lady is the most popular applique pattern of all time and one of the highest selling embroidery transfers.
    Beverly

Me personally my favorite is ryan mckenna's designs. I also have books from carol armstrong and bea olgelsby, and like their designs

Check out Darcy Ashton's books if you like animals. I really love her patterns.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!
    Nahhh, the fabric market is next month. But i have no time limit for making the quilt. And if it takes me till 2017, this will be ok
    Well, I took a little nap and am a bit clearer about the colours. The main colours will be either blue and yellow or black and turquoise. But with some coloured points or effects here and there.