Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your help needed

Blog Entries

Your help needed

I need some white tone on tone fabric that you can't see your hand through. Can anyone tell me what I should get. I went to JoAnn's Saturday and every bolt of their tone on tone white was sooo thin. Thanks for any help.
    Joy

Even the quilt shop quality fabric I purchased 10 yrs. ago before the quality whet down is fairly see through as you can see the 1/4" seems. I don't think you can get quilt cotton to not have some see through with a tone on tone. The quilt in my Avatar has s white background.

Blog Entries
    A light fabric that you can't see through somewhat will be tightly woven and not really suitable for quilting. Light color fabric lets light through.
    Got fabric?

Can you just take that fabric at Joanns and put interfacing behind it?? just a thought.
    SUEB

I have some WOW and WO Cream/beigh that is a heavier weave and while not completely see-through - is not so thin that you can see your hand. Alas ... no selvege!! I have NO idea what kind it is, only that I picked up the WOW at my LQS, and the WO Cream I purchased at a "warehouse sale" while attending Paducah last year.

Wish I had a selvege so I could tell you what it was!

But fear not ... there is some out there!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I've been happy with Moda and Timeless Treasures white on white.
    Joyce

Joy Where do you want to go?? We can go tomorrow if you want. How about Nancy's she has moved and her new shop is nice. Nancy

Blog Entries
    I think I remember my quilt teacher (many many years ago) told us that pressing the seams open helps with the shadowing--not completely but helps--not so many layers. She said that's why we always press towards the "dark".
    Bernie

QM
    When you find a good quality WOW, buy that one. For about the last year, the quality of WOW my beloved drygoods store has gotten (they sell flat folds) has been poor, so when I went in and found really good WOW a week or so ago, I bought it...all of it. I've been using Moda muslin or avoiding patterns that called for WOW. Now I have 8 yds of excellent stash. Yes, as I recall, it is Timeless Treasures.

I had some where the white printed on top was in big heavy flowers, and it helped to thicken the fabric. Sadly, I've never found anything else so nice. I struggle to find thick enough white, too, although for solid white I like Kona cotton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast