Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your opinion on clipping seams? >

Your opinion on clipping seams?

Your opinion on clipping seams?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by romille View Post
I have heard that Fray Block is softer, but I haven't tried it yet.
I heard when Fray Check is ironed/pressed it becomes softer.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM

I am a seamstress and instructor and always tell my students not to do this. I will never, ever clip a seam to reduce bulk. I do not like this technique and wish all quilters would stop worrying about this tiny bit of bulk. Press the seams as best as you can open or to one side. It will get hidden in the batting of the quilt and absolutely does not matter. The clipping ruins the seams and over time these broken seams will come apart. If I sound firm it is because I want all of your gorgeous quilts that you have put so much effort into have the longest quilt life possible
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy View Post
I am a seamstress and instructor and always tell my students not to do this. I will never, ever clip a seam to reduce bulk. I do not like this technique and wish all quilters would stop worrying about this tiny bit of bulk. Press the seams as best as you can open or to one side. It will get hidden in the batting of the quilt and absolutely does not matter. The clipping ruins the seams and over time these broken seams will come apart. If I sound firm it is because I want all of your gorgeous quilts that you have put so much effort into have the longest quilt life possible
Melanie, I think you need to start a new thread with this information. Most of the people who have posted will probably not come back and read this any more. And you can tell when people post without reading what others have posted.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 PM

Nah, just stop the clip a few threads short of the seam and press the bejeggers out of it.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM

I trimmed kaliedscope centres if after twisting seams or open and bashing with a hammer they are still not flat. It's amazing how flat the hammer gets them
Old 07-20-2015, 04:38 AM

"Sew Secure" is the product I use to reduce fraying on applique. It dries softer than the other products mentioned. It takes a very tiny dot to secure. I also wanted to say I"M A CLIPPER! If a curved seam can be clipped and not fray with all that stretching tension, then I don't see a problem with clipping a seam that's not under tension.