Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Your opinions on this Singer sewing machine PLEASE!

Your opinions on this Singer sewing machine PLEASE!

I have been thinking about buying the Singer 160th Anniversary machine for quite some time. I have read some good and some bad reviews on it. If any of you have any info on these PLEASE,post your input.
    Thank you,
    Country1
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-20-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    I am a fan of vintage Singers, but *not* a fan of new low-end Singers. The newer low-end Singers have had a bad rep for a long time, and I'm not aware that the "anniversary" machine is any better. In this price range, I would probably be looking at a Brother.

What are you looking for in a machine? A primary machine for piecing and sewing, a lightweight machine to take to classes, a backup machine, nostalgia? (If nostalgia, I would look for a true vintage Singer.)

I think there were a few on this board that got them when they came out and like them, did you try the search feature here
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Have you seen it in person? The hand wheel is chrome plastic and looks incredibly cheesy. It only has 24 stitch selections and is the same as one of the Singer Curvy line of machines. It also is missing a key feature of 'needle down'. It is a very base model machine all dressed up to look fancy. For the 399.00 to 599.00 price tag I have seen online, you can do a lot better for your money

Look at a Janome machine, for the money you get a lot more features and they are dependable. For all it's huge size, that anniversary machine has a small harp.

Oh - And because it is black plastic every finger print shows.

Thank you ladies for the input. I really liked the look, but didn't want to pay that much money for "The Look." From what I've read on here and online reviews, I think I will pass. We have a number of antique and vintage machines, as well as, 3 modern machines. ( Plus our Mid-arm quilting machine and frame.) Think I'll keep my money for something else, a girl can always use more fabric. LOL
    Thanks again, Penny
    Country 1