Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your quilt magazine recommendations? >

Your quilt magazine recommendations?

Your quilt magazine recommendations?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM

I just got quilty and love it too.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM

My two favorites ae The Quilter and Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. I read them cover to cover.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

I liked Fons and Porter Easy Quilts. The quilts are easy, yet don't look it. They include easy to follow instructions and have lots of tips. If appliques are used, the patterns are included. I tried some of the other magazines mentioned here. I found as a beginner the Fons and Porter worked best for me. Whichever one you choose, enjoy the quilting and don't stress over it. Quilting can be a lot of fun.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Go to the newsstand and look through each of the magazines mentioned. See what they have that would interest you. Look at the lay out and the contents section. Read through a pattern in each book to see if it clicks right away or you find yourself having to read over it again to understand what they are saying - not all quilt patterns or writers are created equal and as a beginner it can be a daunting task to decipher directions you are not familiar with. Read a paragraph or so of an article. Some of us like technical articles, some of us like chatty lighthearted articles. It boils down to you and how you feel about the magazine. I always look forward to getting the newest issue of a magazine. When you get a magazine and it sits unread, it is a waste.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I can't find any quilting magazines at Walmart which is the closest place, and would have to drive 60 miles to another store large enough to carry them. Which is why my friend offered a subscription. From looking at the suggestions, I'm torn between the Fons and Porter and American Patchwork and Quilting. I might ask for one from my friend and subscribe to the other on my own. The best of both worlds!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM

Look for the quilting magazines on the bottom magazine shelf at Walmart. They are usually surrounded by other magazines that are not "women's magazines". Why, I don;t know but I do know I have to really bend to get a magazine.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM

For a beginer I would definitely say Quick Quilts. The projects are easy. It gives detailed easy directions and all the patterns for the quilts are slanted for quick and easy. Good for Newbies.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 AM

I think that American Patchwork and Quilting has the best beginner pattern. Quilt World and Quiltmaker seem to me to get into the more difficult stuff