Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your quilt magazine recommendations?

Your quilt magazine recommendations?

A friend has offered me a subscription to a quilting magazine and I'm not sure which to ask for. I'm a beginner so would like one that is rather general as I'm learning new techniques. What would you suggest?

There are many, but one that I think has a good variety of articles/patterns is American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine-published by Better Homes and Gardens.

Blog Entries
    when i was a newbie, i liked Fons & Porter
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    There are many, but one that I think has a good variety of articles/patterns is American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine-published by Better Homes and Gardens.
    That is my favorite machine too. I do get many of them but if I could only get one subscription it would be for American Patchwork & Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

When I was very new, I liked Quick Quilts magazine, because the patterns were about my speed.

I take most of them and would choose Fon's ans Porters love of quilting.

I like Quilters Newsletter Magazine. It's not as heavy on patterns as some of the other magazines, but that's not what I'm looking for in a magazine. (Plenty of patterns in books, internet, and elsewhere.) I find something inspiring in every issue.

I'm also with American Patchwork & Quilting for a beginner to check out....there are a lot of great quilt magazines out there. Go to either a bookstore, a grocery store with a good magazine section or a quilt store, etc. (or all of them) and check out the different quilting magazines and see which ones appeal to you.

I would recommend Fon's and Porter's Love of Quilting. There are several quilt patterns in each magazine,of different skill levels. If instead of a magazine subscription,have you ever looked at Quilt in a Day books? They are step by step books, perfect for beginners. If you don't have the option of watching Quilt in a Day on your local PBS station, you can watch episodes on the Quilt in a Day website. Excellent resource for a beginner.

It also depends on what type of quilting magazine you want. Do you want one that has only patterns, very few articles? Or do you want one with articles of interest to quilters? I like The Quilt Life because it has articles. But it doesn't have many patterns. That's OK with me. For patterns I like American Patchwork & Quilting, Quilt World and Quiltmaker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast