Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
YOUR quilting "style" >

YOUR quilting "style"

YOUR quilting "style"

Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

IN today's world of rapidly achieved everything...there has been a growing trend in the "get it done NOW" quilt patterns!

Way back to the Yellow brick road, the Turning 20, etc, etc...

These are great for quick, no brainer quilts but I generally use them only for charity and or gifted quilts for kids...

My "STYLE" is really in the traditional. The more pieces the happier I am! I love to design using traditional blocks and adding a twist to the setting....but still letting it LOOK traditional.

What about YOU??...what sort of quilts do you find yourself drawn to the most? Art, folksy, traditional, out of the box???

Currently I am working on a Split 9 patch, a BQ2, and the Patriots in Petticoats....a little bit of everything I think... :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM

I like traditional blocks with modern fabrics. While I do like the look of vintage fabrics, I prefer working with newer patterns and batiks.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grammyp
I like traditional blocks with modern fabrics. While I do like the look of vintage fabrics, I prefer working with newer patterns and batiks.
ooooohhh...I love batiks...while I do have an extensive collection of 30's and CW fabrics..batiks take a close lead!

However I find that I use my batiks in more modern looking designs, and NATURE things..wonder why...guess those 30's airplanes and bunnies would not be the same in a water color batik...ehhehe
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 AM

I too love the traditional, but my favorites are scrappy, landscape/portraits, and applique, applique, applique. I haven't tried any landscapes yet but they are in my to do pile. I have a book for turning 20 that was a gift but I just can't seem to get excited about that pattern or yellow brick road.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 AM

I am a "get 'er done" girl! The quicker the better. Put the pedal to the metal and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That being said - I've been quilting less than a year so these easy patterns fit my skill level just fine. Someday I hope I grow up to do more intricate things.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JanTx
I am a "get 'er done" girl! The quicker the better. Put the pedal to the metal and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That being said - I've been quilting less than a year so these easy patterns fit my skill level just fine. Someday I hope I grow up to do more intricate things.
you will..that is the ONLY saving grace to those quicky quilts..it helps the newbies practice their cutting straight and stitching the PERFECT 1/4" seam allowance...but when you are ready to MOVE ON...look out...there is a HUGE variety out there waiting on you to attack!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM

I love to applique. I can make my own patterns from my own drawings. It's satisfying to see a quilt come together knowing it's my very own, unique pattern. I read a lot of quilting history and enjoy making quilts from traditional blocks. Most of my work is small, usually wall hanging size. My sewing machine is small and I like projects that I can finish before I get bored.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM

I like traditional blocks using reproduction fabrics. Right now I'm in the planning of a quilt for my DDIL who likes ultra modern. It's a struggle for me to contemplate large graphic pieces. Though since the quilt is for her I want it in her style.

I'm fondly collecting 30's repo fabrics for a GFG all for me. I am looking forward to hand piecing and hand quilting a whole queen size for my bed.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Although I've never even tried, I LOVE the landscape quilts with all the fabrics that are used, uneven lines, etc. They fascinate me. I am in awe of the HST even though I can't get those lined up very well yet. You can do SO much with that little triangle.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM

I love to combine traditional blocks with applique. I have been playing with my new EQ7 and just having a blast. If I do every quilt I designed in EQ7 I will have to live a really long time and I have only had it less than a week.