Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your sewing desk/table >

Your sewing desk/table

Your sewing desk/table

Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 AM

We moved about 2.5 months ago and my sewing desk was completely destroyed... it was a cheap, pressboard desk so no love lost. I am looking to find something new and came across Ikea's design your own desk. I am not excatly sure what to get beyond a L-shaped desk like I had before. Seriously, how often do we get to buy a whole new sewing desk/table of our choosing?

So I'd like to know... what is the one (or two) thing(s) missing from your sewing desk/table that would make your life so much easier?

Thanks, Lacosta
Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 AM

My new sewing desk is actually a double desk from a computer lab. It has TWO powerstrips attached! I love the convenience. I plugged the power strips into my heavy duty surge protector.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM

I don't have desk per se. I have a 3/4" of 4x8 plywood that I use. I put 1x6 legs cornored on it and its given me a big surface to work on. I can have my machine more towards the right with a little ironing area after it and to the left I layout my cutting mat and that's where I do everything else. Then I have a large area to hold quilts while quilting. Cheap, cheap! :-D
Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM

I have Horn furniture and the one thing I wish it had more of is space to the right of the machine. The furniture has a place you put your machine on that recesses down and you put an acrylic insert around the machine so the machine bed is flush with the height of the table. Because the machine and acrylic insert have to be in an exact place, I can't move it to give me more room on the right side.

I bought a small night stand, painted it white and put it next to the furniture; this works great.

Being right handed, I tend to put my pin cushion, scissors, extra threads and bobbins on the right side.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM

I have multiple pieces.

I have a drafting table as a cutting table.
I have a folding buffet table (8 ft long) as a folding table to re-fold my yardage and to layout sample block designs.
This week my husband is picking up a large dining room table , with leafs, for me to use as my layout, ironing, sewing table (becaus eirght now I have all this int he dining room instead of in my craft room int he basement) :)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM

I have a Sylvia sewing cabinet. The one thing I would have really liked was a L-shaped shelf/table top to the left of my machine. This would make it handy for larger quilts to rest on when sewing & piecing. Now I have to lower my ironing board to the cabinet level to rest bigger quilt tops on. Mine opens up to about 4' x 4' which in most cases is just too big.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM

I have a cutting table I purchased at JoAnn's and an 8 ft folding buffet table.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM

I use a computer table, its the right height and has ample room on the left of the machine for the fabric to lay nicely.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I have Horn furniture and the one thing I wish it had more of is space to the right of the machine. The furniture has a place you put your machine on that recesses down and you put an acrylic insert around the machine so the machine bed is flush with the height of the table. Because the machine and acrylic insert have to be in an exact place, I can't move it to give me more room on the right side.

I bought a small night stand, painted it white and put it next to the furniture; this works great.

Being right handed, I tend to put my pin cushion, scissors, extra threads and bobbins on the right side.
HELLOO!!!
I have been wondering everytime I see a sewing table WHY the MANUFACTURER puts the sewing machine area almost completely to the RIGHT side of table!??
Also, why are all the storage trays/drawers on the left side? I had open storage on the left side, and I kept "pulling" off the stuff with my projects!! Those thread holders etc, got removed the first week I had the table! YEESH...don't sewers design these things??

:?: :?:
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM

I have an old office desk (massive) for a sewing table. I really like the two small drawers and 2 file drawers on either side of the desk, but I wish I had more room on the left AND the right. I have also put an old nightstand to the left side and put my serger on that, so when I need to serge I just slide my office chair over and do that. Someday I want to have a real sewing room complete with furniture but for now this works okay. I use the kitchen counter top (perfect height) for cutting. Also, I wish I didn't have carpet in the sewing room. It makes it really hard to keep clean.