Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Your thoughts on quilt lighting

I have a nice counter against the wall for my work/cutting space with haolgen lights overhead. They're great but of course they reflect off my rulers. Anybody have this problem with a good fix?

Blog Entries
    Yep, had same problem. Sprayed upper surface of rulers with satin or matte finish varethane. Also found I could cut more easily without the overhead lights, even if it was a little dimmer.

I purchased a desk lamp. The one I have has the ability to bend in three different places. The light bulb holder also rotates. I also switched out the light bulb to have an Ott Light Bulb, or full spectrum light bulb. Ott is a brand name.

Important thing to watch when using the Ott lights is using them late at night. If you find you're having trouble sleeping you may be light sensitive and need to test the light use with your system.

The good thing when using the Ott light or full spectrum bulbs is that they are true color. This can be important when trying to select or match fabric and their colors.

Another option is to use a pole light where the light is reflecting back from the ceiling rather than just focused downward. The light reflection could mean you need additional lighting. Can you change where the cutting surface is by moving the table?

Keep us updated with your problem and any solution you find.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    I have a Ott light on the table for sewing and cutting. There are no overhead lights in the room I sew in.
    Good luck!
    Janet

I have a built-in counter attached to the wall with shelves underneath. My long sewing table is to the left of the counter, so I have an L-shape space. I do have a floor Ott, but really no place to put it there and the counter is 8' long.

I am glad I saw this. My sewing area is in the loft. It has skylights & I have an ott light by each machine. Great lighting during the day, but quite dim at night. I am getting ready to put some overhead lighting in there & I never would have thought about the reflection on my rulers. I'll have to look at what kind of fixtures & bulbs are available.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I took the OmniGrip plastic off the back of my ruler and the lights no longer reflected. I hated that stuff anyway. Otts and sandpaper dots for me!

Blog Entries
    I have one of those cheapy clamp on long neck lamps but I put a day light bulb in it. works great.

I use Ott light at machine (one with the long flexible arm)an another Ott light at cutting/ironing board.