Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts: Storage cabinet with drawers or storage chest

Your Thoughts: Storage cabinet with drawers or storage chest

I have an opportunity to buy a storage cabinet that would double as a cutting surface. It's a two-door cabinet with two banks of drawers inside. I probably wouldn't store fabric in it since I've put all my fabric on comic boards and have them stored in a bookcase. I would probably use it for embroidery supplies, quilting notions, boxes of scraps, etc.

In theory, I'd keep the doors closed and open them when I need something. My hesitation is whether it would be irritating to have to open doors to open a drawer. A chest would let me just open a drawer but I haven't found anything that would be the right height for cutting.

Would you find this difficult to use? Or go for it.

(I think I've answered my own question by writing out my thoughts - but I'll still post to get your feedback. )
    Cathy

I guess for me it would depend on how often I needed to open it. Is price a factor?
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Can you take the outside doors off?? I would probably go for it anyway. A table the right height to cut is hard to find so I wouldn't pass it up.

Personally, I'd go for it!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, and 4 crazy cats!

Blog Entries
    Extra storage is always a plus for me. But the right height is a big factor. I use what looks like saw horses with a white laminate board across the top for a cutting table. I can raise and lower it according to my needs and they work great. I found them at IKEA for approximately 30 each. I store drawers in the middlie of the table underneath it. You have to find what works for you. I like the idea of closing the doors so it looks neat but are they in the way when they are opened and you are using your cutting surface?
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
    Stay flexible you won't get bent out of shape.

Barking Frog Winery, Carlton, Oregon

I use what used to be a portable kitchen island for a pressing surface....it has doors and then shelves beneath and a wine rack in between. I use the wine rack to hold all things rolled up...like stabilizer, pressing cloths, tracing paper...it also has three drawers. I try to keep mostly things that deal with pressing but I also keep items I use only occasionally because it is placed in a hallway between the longarm quilt room and the sewing room. The top was stainless steel so I covered it in thick wool and then sheeting for the ironing surface. My personal opinion is that anytime you can gleand more storage space, go for it! We never have enough.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I would GO 4 IT!!!
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

If it has doors, and you're standing in front of it, will it bump your knees and/or is there also room for your feet to fit under the doors so that you can stand properly?

Ahh...very good thoughts and thank you for the comments. It's on casters so my toes would fit under it and the doors will fold out of the way so it could be left open unless you really need to be neat.

It's not cheap-cheap but it's a good deal and I know the person who owns it so know it's been cared for.

Yes...I appreciate the encouragement...I'm going for it. Storage is always at a premium. And since I'm moving my sewing space to the unused living room - largest room in the house, I need to have space I can keep neat.

I just needed a kick in the pants. Thanks!!

Power Poster
    If the doors can be left on and not bother you, go for it. The doors could have pegboard attached on the inside for hanging tools or you could make them into small design boards. I think the doors would be really handy for hanging all your rulers on too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast