Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your views on Picture Quilts >

Your views on Picture Quilts

Your views on Picture Quilts

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM

I am not even sure this what you call them. But how does one go about getting photos put on Quilts. I have seen them at shows and for sell. Also, is it expensive to do if you use more than one picture?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Are you referring to photo quilts or art quilts, Leni Wiener has a book out on Art quilts (where she uses fabric to make the photo..i.e. landscapes, people etc.) or by using photo fabric (June taylor makes this where you print your photo's on the special treated fabric). Others have used fabric and Bubble jet set (haven't tried this yet). Some are quite beautiful, and I have one on my list also.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM

I mean where you would take a photo and have it put on fabric. Do you have to use special fabric and how does one go about getting the photo on the fabric? Thank you.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 AM

You can buy either ink jet iron-on transfer paper or fabric that has been prepped for use in an ink jet printer at places like JoAnn's or Michael's. I've only used the iron on, but have had decent success with it.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Thank you. Does the photo come our clearly?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM

That was suppose to say come out clearly..
Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM

I have used the pretreated paper in my home copier. I have also had it done at a copy store using the paper made to make iron on transfers. Both worked well. The best quality photo comes out if you use very tightly woven fabric on the finished product. It has also been my experience that the newer and better quality the actual photo the better the copy on fabric comes out.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Go to cjenkins.com . They have the presoaked fabric. You cut it 8 1/2 inches by 11 1/2 inches. I use school glue sticks and run it accross the top of photo paper and glue the fabric to it and print. Print on best quality . Only put one sheet on the tray at a time. They have a chemical you soak it in then lay on a towel to dry. This is more economical than the package you buy and some of them are not washable. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM

I have used the photofabric (8.5" X 120" roll, product no. 102799) purchased from Quilting Warehouse. it comes in a roll that you cut the size you need, then run it through your printer just like you are printing on photo paper! This method is more economical than the full sheets that I've seen at Joanne's and Michael's and there is less wasted fabric. After printing, you let it dry good, peel the paper backing off, run it through cold water and air dry. Press and you are ready to sew it like any fabric into your quilt. I've made several of these "memory quilts" for family and friends and I love them. If I can help, let me know.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 AM

I have made 3 memory quilt.........turn out very nice... giftrs for my 2 DDL and one for my mom