Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! >

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM

anything of value should be included on your insurance with a rider. It's a small price to pay if you suffer a loss. My crystal collection is valued at $4k but only added $50 a year to my policy. I'd be really ticked off if someone broke in and stole it or smashed it.

Now my fabric- I guess I better start looking at adding another rider- it has some value. 18 tubs of fabric x $200 worth of fabric in it. Plus the machine I bought last year- $3700.00. Yes, better call my insurance agent. We keep our collector cars insured properly, I should do the same with my "collection".

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Gotta say: DH may some idea of the amount of stash I have but very little idea as to its worth or the worth of the machines he knows about. :) My mom and sister were shocked when I casually told them, b/c they asked, how many sewing machines I have and that I use almost all of them. I have 8 and 6 are vintage ones. Now my DM collects records and CDs and I don't know about my sister. I suspect she doesn't collect much of anything besides pictures of her grandsons. Neither of them could see any value in the vintage machines - I feel sorry for them. I need to check with ins. company about the quilting stuff but it had never crossed my mind. No receipts of course.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

My husband doesnt complain about what I spend on fabric and sewing supplies. I only have onesewing machine and its a brother 2600 we bought at walmart back in January 2006. I h ave only been sewing anything since 2002 and my first project was a dress shirt for my husband. My sister walked me through it and then I turned around and made him over 40 shirts with various fabric patterns that he chose.
My husband collects movies. SERIOUSLY collects movies. Right now he probably has 1500 DVD movies in my living room, not counting the 2000 or more VHS's hes got in storage.So this is how I figure, if he can spend $100 bucks a month on movies, I should be able to spend the same amount on fabric right? Well, I don't. I love to quilt, but I havent the patience to walk around the store to chose fabric. So that means I rarely add to my stash, but my new years resolution is this....Every time I go to the store for the first 6 months of the year, I am going to buy 2 yards of ONE FABRIC and try to build a stash. Right now I have a nice stash of black and white fabrics and a few odds and end peices. :)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Having read this post, I have never worked out how much I spend on my quilting in a year. So I have decided that I am going to keep a tab for all the fabric and quilting supplies that I buy this year.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM

My dh would probably die if he knew how much my fabric is worth.I;m not gonna tell him,what he doesnt know wont hurt him.he-he
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM

How do you put a price on joy, contentment, and that one little slice of heaven???
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Never thought about insuring the quilting fabric, etc...I have 9 sewing machines plus fabrics...etc...wow...I would hate to lose it...
Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM

That's pretty funny! I needed that! Just can't put a value on my little sewing room. Would you put the scissors at $25 retail value or probably the $15 you actually paid for them? Tooooooooooo funny!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM

What a great memory jogger! Thanks.
I recently added a $3000 Janome Horizon to my collection. And an Inspira frame.
And if I had to replace my fabric stash today - it would cost thousands.
Insurance is there for the emergencies. You never know when you're going to need it.
For instance, this summer, my freezer quit. It was covered by my house insurance - but only the contents. And that gave me $600 for a small 11 cu ft freezer. Not including the price for replacing the freezer. The agent sent a cheque no questioned asked because I took photos of the contents - in it's ugly, melted state.
And don't forget, just because you got it on sale the first time, doesn't mean you can replace it for that price!
So, take pictures of your stash if you can't list it. You won't regret it.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM

I am afraid to even consider what it all costs :oops: