Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Youth Bed Quilts - How Popular? What Size? >

Youth Bed Quilts - How Popular? What Size?

Youth Bed Quilts - How Popular? What Size?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Default Youth Bed Quilts - How Popular? What Size?

I don't have any children, but I have noticed that more kids in my family go from a crib to a youth bed before getting a twin bed. (When I was young, we went from a crib to a double bed shared with a sibling!) Anyway, I do quilts for a Bible Camp quilt auction each year, and we find that children's quilts are popular.

What is your opinion about youth bed quilts? What age child fits in a "youth bed"? What size are youth bed quilts (it seems that some have of those beds are close to the floor and have very little overhang)? Are youth beds very common?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Dayle
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM

I would make single bed quilts; they would be in a youth bed for a short time.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM

I could be wrong, but....I think that youth beds are the same size as a crib mattress. Many of today's cribs adapt to form a youth bed. I don't have any little ones, but have heard about them from friends.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM

A youth bed IS a crib mattress on a low-to-the-ground frame. My grandson will be 4 in February and has been on his since he turned 2. I made a twin length quilt for him and ... it's huge. I did make it narrow, but it has to be tucked WAY under the end of the mattress to fit. BUT when I was at their house for Thanksgiving I noticed that he took a nap on his parent's bed - with the beloved quilt - and it fit his mom when she crawled up there to nap with him. so ..... decision to make. Make it a bit longer than a crib size so it can be tucked under or make it almost twin size so it can be shared.

I made the width just a tad larger than the top of a twin bed; the length was a bit more than a twin mattress. If this comes through here it is:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ge-t63283.html
Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Youth bed mattresses are the same size as a crib mattress. Most cribs convert to a youth bed these days & I have made "youth bed" quilts but I knew they wouldn't be in that size bed for long. I made the quilt larger than I would for a crib for the drop on the sides & I figured the kids could use it later for watching TV, etc. I'd say by about the age of 4, they'd probably outgrow a youth bed.
A crib/youth mattress is 27" X 51" X 4-6" thick.