Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding me

And remember, the folks who sew have, most of the time, done their work to save money. It was thought that anyone could do it, so the work had little or no value.

But to people who do not sew, these handmade quilts ARE valuable and collectible. The creations are more than they could possibly dream of doing, so they are willing to pay more for them.

I remember when I was young, EVERYONE could sew. There was no value to what you sewed except for the pride in workmanship and design. Now we have several generations of folks who have never sewed a stitch.

Perhaps it is these folks who really understand what their work is worth, and we are the ones who don't.....

I would sure like to see how many of these have sold in the past, and what the prices were.

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    these are expensie, but people routinely pay that much and MORE for traditional artwork, so I really don't see a problem with it! I think that it is the highest compliment to the quilting world that someone would be willing to pay that much money for a quilted piece of art!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by key4unc
    Check this one out. It's only $61,000
    http://www.bryerpatch.com/images/qui...gsOfADream.htm
    I looked through her website, she is an award winning quilter and she does figure her prices by the hour....from start to finish.

http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/marketing.htm

If she enjoys making her quilts, and can make $15+ an hour for them I say "Go For It" I never thought about how much of the selling price could go for commissions...I thought 15% - 20% it never entered my mind that if could be over 50%

Banned
    i guess it depends on your market audience and what people in your area are willing to pay for art.

i went the the Empire Quilting Guild Show in NYC and the quilts on display for sale top out around $7000.

of course these were stunning quilts and in my opinion well worth the price and if i wasn't a quilt artist myself i would have no problem paying that price.

the biggest problem i see with this is people tend to want to see the work up close before they're willing to shell out that kind of money.

Holy! the close ups are breath-taking. If I had $61,000.00 I would...
    NOT buy that quilt. I am not in that league, but it is nice to think that someone who poured their heart, soul and physical capabilities into that quilt will be rewarded financially.

CRH
    That's how I'm going to price MY quilts. Then I'll get to KEEP them!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, I could buy a small house for $61,ooo. For quilts I've sold, every one had a "labor of love" factor. I just don't think quilts that cosly are going to end up in a person's home.

Wow -- $61,000 for a quilt -- and it really isn't big enough to cover up in! Yeah, I know -- it's supposed to hang on a wall. Are the walls cold??

Blog Entries
    Well OF COURSE, it's Caryl Bryer Fallert after all. :wink: (You have to imagine my sarcastic tone)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    If I had $61,000.00 I would...
    NOT buy that quilt.
    I'm with you dude! lol
    Imagine how much fabric you could buy with $61,000 for your own stash! *sighs dreamily*

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast