Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Zentangles? >

Zentangles?

Zentangles?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Gay

I did a class 12 months ago, drawing an outline of a turtle with coral, rocks and seaweeds. We drew the outline on on plain white fabric, made a sandwich with backing and binding, then proceeded to fill all the background with zentangles, using the quilting foot and feed dogs down. Didn't think I made a very good job of it, only got it half finished, and haven't had the urge to get back to it. Takes a long time, though I did enjoy.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM

Wow Feline!! Your work is fantastic!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have dabbled in zentangle. The original zentangle is doodling with pen and paper and then shading with pencil. But it lends itself to quilting. I have never heard of zentangle piecing. Here is a picture of some zentanglesque quilting I have done (the background behind the cat). While not zentangle in the true sense (which is most often associated with repetitive designs and doodle designs broken down into very basic elements) it does have a sense of zentangle.
Wow is right!!! Would love to see all of this quilt.....Laurel Birch fabric, right? Your quilting is fabulous....love those cats!!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 AM

I use them for quilting ideas not as complicated as above just area fillers. I first found them when I was teaching, the children loved drawing and filling areas with patterns instead of colouring in.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Go to www.tanglepatterns.com. You've find everything you need there, including hundreds and hundreds of patterns. It's addicting, so watch out!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I've been a *Zentangler* for years! Even started my kids & grandkids with Zentangle kits. It's kind of ( funny) to me how it has recently taken the crafting/ quilting by storm. Its a good thing just interesting, back in the 70's, 80's people looked at the designs, concept, practice in a rather negative way, now it is widely accepted.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 PM

I made my first real Zentangle last night. Was surprised by how much time it took. Not sure I can calm myself long enough to do much of this. I also think I need the book which is really pricey....not sure I will want to do this long enough to justify my getting it. Funny, I now see a lot of sweat shirts and T's with designs that remind me of Zentangle. I imagine it was a concept that is now embraced even though a few years ago it was too "new age".....My friend sent me a note card she had made doing a Zentangle. My DH thought it was a lithograph it was so perfect......absolutely fantastic. If she lived closer, I'm sure I would get more involved.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
I also do it with Pen and Ink...I do cards, pictures for gifts. Very fun and relaxing

Judy in Phx, AZ
Did my version on white canvas shoes for GD this last summer...I think saw a pic here, which gave me the idea.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:06 AM

Feline fanatic your cats are just beautiful! I love the way that your design transitions in the fills around them. I will keep working on my zentangle/doodles with new inspiration.
I sort of do zentangles but I try to keep my tangles to things I could stitch without breaking thread.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:57 AM

wendiq, there are a million books on Zentangle! You don't have to get the expensive one sold by the Zentangle folks. There are some great ones (which include a workbook too) by Design Originals. Go to Amazon and check them out.

I love doing Zentangles and also took a class in quilting them. Awesome stuff.