Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Zippers on longarm leaders >

Zippers on longarm leaders

Zippers on longarm leaders

Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 AM

I just did some research from my earlier post. the safety pins should be #2(good size to handle).
I find this tool to be extremely useful to remove the pins when standing at the machine(as you finish quilting).
http://www.patchworks.com/fingertips.htm It is the wooden handled tool shown on the left of the picture.
By the way you don't need fancy pins. Plain old safety pins work fine. In this application curved pins aren't an advantage either.
Good luck as you use your zippers
Old 08-31-2016, 09:08 AM

I have used my longest stitch on DSM to baste backing to zippers (I usually float the top). I think you could pin or staple also. I have zippers but don't really use them like I thought I would. I agree that they are more for convenience of removing quilt and putting back on. Also, when I was ill but needed to quilt, I could pin to the zippers while sitting down and then only stand when I was quilting.

A longarm dealer that rents time on her machines has everyone buy them so they can have the quilt ready to put onto her half of the zipper when they arrive leaving them paying for only actual quilting time.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:03 AM

I suggest you look into the Red Snappers. I still can't load a quilt in under 10 minutes like they claim, but it's still many times faster than any other method I can think of. No pinning and no basting to leaders. Also, no UNpinning and UNbasting. I remember thinking they were a bit pricey at the time, but so very worth it now that I'm happier.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kacie View Post
I suggest you look into the Red Snappers. I still can't load a quilt in under 10 minutes like they claim, but it's still many times faster than any other method I can think of. No pinning and no basting to leaders. Also, no UNpinning and UNbasting. I remember thinking they were a bit pricey at the time, but so very worth it now that I'm happier.
I have to agree with this.
Mine aren't the Red Snappers, or even the other brand (Leader Grips). Mine are el-cheapo... at one time, Amazon had a product called "Mondo Clips" and they came in several different sizes, including 3 ft long. I bought one pack (10 "clips" in the bag) and then cut a few (but not all) of them into smaller sizes. I LOVE mine.

And while I'm not loading in just 10 minutes (takes me about 15), it's like 1.5 seconds to unload. Now, THAT'S fast!!

I periodically check Amazon to see if they have any more... right now there's only the ones that are about 6" long.

I do not see any real improvement with using the zippers. You still end up pinning or basting the quilt backing to a zipper. So, pin to the leader or pin to the zipper, you're still pinning.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 PM

I had zippers (had originally bought them when renting time on LA) but frankly did not find them a big helps as I don't often turn a quilt or take one off mid-quilting. What I'm loving is the Red Snappers! I love them--no more sticking myself with pins, easy to use (if they are too stiff at first, try a hair dryer on them to soften a little) and so quick--can't say it takes 10 min to load, but not much more time and it's a quick "zip" to unload. well worth the price and about the same price as my zipper system (which I sold to someone renting time onLA)
Old 09-01-2016, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

When I used zippers I machine basted zipper to quilt backing- worked great, everything always lined up nicely & it's easy to remove when finished. When I got my new machine, frame setup I received ( red snappers) as a gift with it so don't use the zippers anymore