Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Zippers for Purses -- which one?

Zippers for Purses -- which one?

Which zippers do you use for your purses/bags? Metal? Nylon? Separating? Non-separating? Heavy duty or simply the ones you would use for clothes?

Thanks
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I haven't made purses but have made large tote/duffle bags, which we used for car-trip suitcases. I used the large, plastic tooth zippers in them. This was many years ago but I got them at either Joann's or Hancock's. They held up very well, through multiple washings.

often, it depends on where the zipper will be and if it will be seen. I choose which zipper by the look I want. So, for an inner pocket, I'd use a light-weight nylon zipper. For the outside closure, I might use a heavy metal because I want that look and weight. Hope this is helpful. I guess what I'm ultimately saying is it's your bag and use what you like to show your personality.

I usually use nylon/plastic zips. Like others have said, depends on where it is going. There are "purse" zippers thatJoann's sells both in the zipper aisle and also in their purse making section. I buy a lot of my zips at a resale shop and get separating and regular. I make lots of bags and use them all. Good luck
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

some patterns will specify the regular nylon ones because you sew over them and trim off the excess.
    I like the special purse zippers-the ones the have two pulls.

Where do you get the special purse zippers with 2 pulls? I have not seen them.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    Where do you get the special purse zippers with 2 pulls? I have not seen them.
    Our LQS sells a couple of sizes of zipper coils, by the foot, and the pulls to go with them. That way you can custom make any size zipper you want and use either one or two pulls. If you find a shop that sells them, they'll show you how to put them together, or even do it for you when you buy.
    Wendy

I buy them at Joanns. It will say purse zipper on it.

http://www.joann.com/coats-clark-pur...ck/xprd357308/