Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Among the Leaves Swap- Please Mail Due by Sept 15

love the idea of the swap but the turnaround time is too quick for me....maybe another time

I have 2 sets going in the mail today. Loved the block went together fast.

I've already recieved a few sets in the mail. You guys are really on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda58
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    I'm thinking on this one, may be a stupid question but I'm new quilter, my question is, what is 1/4" scant? I know what 1/4" seam allowance is, but I don't know what is a scant? LOL
    A scant 1/4" is just slightly less than a 1/4" seam, when sewing a seam.
    Thank you for answering my question...
    When you are making a scant 1/4" seam you move the needle over two threads (or so) in towards the edge of the fabric. That is a scant quarter inch seam. Some machines have a needle moving button. Push it once and you should be right on the money. You can test it by using an old needle and a piece of paper. Draw a quarter inch mark on a piece of paper. and sew down it normal. Now move the needle over once and sew again. It should be just to the right of the line now. Or if you don't have that feature adjust your position of the fabric to have the needle just to the right of that line. That is how I figured it out anyway.

You can place a full stack of post-its just ahead of the machine foot to help guide the fabric correctly. That helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired to Quilt
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Important Tip:
    I just collected 25 Maple Leaf blocks on another swap. It is critically important to leave a 1/4 " beyond the points, or you will cut some off when you are sewing up your blocks. Just be really careful.
    I just finished a swap on QB that included many blocks with outside edge points. Most of the ones I received have the points too close to the edge for me to add sashing wiithout losing the points. I am VERY disappointed! Each one of us MUST be sure there is 1/4" seam allowance beyond the points!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's the reason why I didn't sign up. I intended to do so as I really liked the theme and idea and I've never done a swap. But then I saw some of the samples posted and realized you'd loose the points when sewing them together as there is not enough allowance so I chickened out not wanting to be frustrated by what I received. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Ok, I think I may be able to finish my blocks and have them mailed to you. 1 set only right now. I have them cut up and the thangles all sewn so I just have to trim and assemble the blocks.

Anyone know how many sets fit in a 4.95 priority mailer?

2 sets

So I can't decide on th next color of my leaves set. I have a darker red with yellow in it or a creamsicle orange print. Any suggestions?

They both sound good... the orangeish might look really good with the black

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast