April - Boom 18

Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
I've never done this method before but you ladies are making me very curious and wanting to try it. I went to the tutorial sewbizgirl so soon 1 of my quilts will be this method. Lots of times I have wanted to quilt each block separately but on the longarm it's just so easy and "lazy" to keep going with the same over all pattern. There has to be a first time for everything right??
Right! Lucky you to have that longarm, but I think you'll have a ball quilting the sampler blocks individually according to each pattern. I use a lot of walking foot curved lines, as you can see. I'm currently in love with them. It means a lot of block turning, so I doubt I'd do it if I was quilting a whole top on my Juki.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM

I've been doing my En Provence w/ a wider pieced sashing QAYG the long sashing strip is sewn to join both long strips of blocks and sashing. It was a method I made up out of necessity. I plan on doing this same method for the Summer Citrus blocks. [ATTACH=CONFIG]572206[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572207[/ATTACH]
I used to have more pics on the computer but this is all I could find w/o a big search.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0607.jpg   dsc_0608.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh, cool how you joined that!

I had forgotten about your unique colorway and was pleased to see it again! So pretty. I have some of that same 'scribbly bubbles' in gray as you have in your diamonds.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM

You'd definitely be a whiz at QAYG, Jaba. It's fun to quilt the individual blocks. I just straight line quilted them on my domestic machine. Super easy. Putting them together wasn't tough, just fidgety to get the sashings to line up. I mostly succeeded. Mostly. I just finished this afternoon. I'll post it over on the UFO board since the blocks are from close to 15 years ago. But first, I'd better get a pic.
I've never done this method before but you ladies are making me very curious and wanting to try it. I went to the tutorial sewbizgirl so soon 1 of my quilts will be this method. Lots of times I have wanted to quilt each block separately but on the longarm it's just so easy and "lazy" to keep going with the same over all pattern. There has to be a first time for everything right??
Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM

I have my blocks all sewn together into quilts right now except this last Boom but need some more blocks first. Maybe I'll go searching through a closet and see if I have some spare blocks to practice on first. That might be a good idea
Old 04-28-2017, 02:01 PM

Want some of mine? I've got plenty! . My little quilt was strictly practice. Learned a lot, particularly where I'm apt to have trouble again.
I have my blocks all sewn together into quilts right now except this last Boom but need some more blocks first. Maybe I'll go searching through a closet and see if I have some spare blocks to practice on first. That might be a good idea
Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Hey, Everybody. Thought I'd check in. I had some minor surgery done this morning on the back of my shoulder. The feeling is all back now and this thing HURTS! Thing is, that one is over and done. They're going to let it heal some before doing the big one on the rest of my back. I HATE getting old and everything starts to fall apart.
On the bright side, I have my fabric chosen for June. I did get my batting and backing squares and strips cut yesterday for Sara's quilt. When my shoulder agrees, I can get started on hers. I have enough blocks to make my great-granddaughter one too, the same size as hers. Sara's moving into her first home, so this will be good timing. I'll post pics when I get them done. One will have a cream flannel backing, the other will get mint green flannel . That way they will know which belongs to which.
Well, time for something for pain and night-night.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:08 PM

Libster sending hugs and prayers for quick healing

I can relate on the joy of health issues on aging. Not a fan

Have been having so much fun quilting with my sweet 16, have even quilted 2 for another quilter. Just meandering but she loved it.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Libster, I will keep you in my thoughts and am sending warm, healing thoughts this very minute. Don't over do!

Terriamn, I agree about this aging thing. It is not for the faint of heart.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Libster, good to hear from you! Rest! Luckily QAYG is easier on the shoulders than wrestling a whole quilt through a dsm.... and you already know how to do it! But like Janice said... don't overdo. We want you healthy for many booms to come.