Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April FQ (Fat Quarter) Swap >

April FQ (Fat Quarter) Swap

April FQ (Fat Quarter) Swap

Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM

I love the butterfly, wonder how it's made. Is there a pattern? Wish I could have joined this month, but don't have any batiks. Wasn't sure what a batik means and still don't. Hopefully I can join next month.

Last edited by sewellie; 04-11-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
I love the butterfly, wonder how it's made. Is there a pattern? Wish I could have joined this month, but don't have any batiks. Wasn't sure what a batik means and still don't. Hopefully I can join next month.
I'm not sure how to describe batik. Here is what my dictionary says:

a technique of hand-dyeing fabrics by using wax as a dye repellent to cover parts of a design, dyeing the uncovered fabric with a color or colors, and dissolving the wax in boiling water.
the fabric so decorated.
verb (used with object)
to hand-dye (material) using the technique of batik.

As you see by some shown they have lots of color and design. What I like most about batiks, besides the colors, is they usually don't have a right or wrong side. I suggest going to a quilt store and seeing for yourself. But I warn you, you'll fall in love!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
I'm not sure how to describe batik. Here is what my dictionary says:

a technique of hand-dyeing fabrics by using wax as a dye repellent to cover parts of a design, dyeing the uncovered fabric with a color or colors, and dissolving the wax in boiling water.
the fabric so decorated.
verb (used with object)
to hand-dye (material) using the technique of batik.

As you see by some shown they have lots of color and design. What I like most about batiks, besides the colors, is they usually don't have a right or wrong side. I suggest going to a quilt store and seeing for yourself. But I warn you, you'll fall in love!

Here is a video showing Moda batiks are made. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsD5sQOF_A
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 AM

those fat quarters going to a 9 and a 4 could be MINE I have both of those numbers in mine.. tricky tricky you just threw the 6 in to tease me... I don't have a 6. can't fool me I am not worried yuppers mine are in the mail! yahoo! I think this afternoon I will saunter down as fast as I can to the mail box (uh is that considered sauntering if your doing it sorta speedy?).. and I absolutely know my fq's will be waiting for me saying take me home take me home.. I cant even wait when I am there I always open my packages in front of my postal lady we oggle all the goodies I get from quilitingboard members together. she is always wishing to take home this one and that one lol.. get your hands off those girl those are MINE and le brat does not share. ok she does but rarely. those are MINE.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Brat, are you joining the new mug rug swap? I have one started that I think you would like, I am trying my hand at joining quilting and hand embroidery work.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM

maybe tlambing has a pattern or other suggestions .... but from what I can tell it is made of feathers (in my case they are blue) with gold painting, the body looks to be made of paper mache type material with antennae - floral stamens painted gold. There is a clip on the back for attachment. It is fabulous .... and Brenda, it does have the look of batik.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]407545[/ATTACH] Received these lovelies from RetiredFireChief yesterday. Love them and all are different from the ones I have. Perfect. Thank you so much for your choices and for the extra FQ Linda, Now I need to make something pretty.
Attached Thumbnails dscf1293.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Everyone's FQ's are so beautiful!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Got some beautiful fq from jaba!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I LOVE THE Tisue holder!!! Thanks so much jan!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Oooooooooh this one could be me.....

Originally Posted by Andrea19711 View Post
My packages went out in the mail today...both to places that have a 9, a 4, and a 6 in the zip code. ..