Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap SCRAPPY TRIPS

I saw that video a while back too and those blocks are terrific and on my short list to make. Good heavens, I think I'm going to be very busy piecing for a couple of months now!

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    Found it, now I remember watching the video when she 1st showed it. I think it would look really nice with the blocks made in the same color family shades. Have 1 block ready to sew the strips together, then 3 more to go and I'll have 6 sets for the August scrappy. They will be coming your way soon...

Wish I could join in the fun, but I'm leaving for the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival and won't have time to get them done before I leave and most likely wont be back until the end of September. The camper I'm going to be staying in is quite small so I'm only taking my crocheting. Y'all have fun!

Blog Entries
    Finished my other set yesterday, have them all labeled and ready to send. They'll be in the mail today or Monday.
    I played with the "3 dudes" too. My strips came out at 8 1/2". Then I put the 2 blocks together, cut them (X) and sewed, the block measured 11" x 11". This is the start of a fall table runner Name:  DSCF2276.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  118.9 KB

Jaba - that's terrific. I've been playing with mock up blocks trying to find the right size for the swap. So if 4 2 1/2" strips yield an 11" unfinished block, using 5 2 1/2" strips should give us a 12 1/2" unfinished block but I'm not positive. Anyone - - - please feel free to experiment and report back. I'll be doing the same.

Question: what size block do we want for the Three Dudes block? I'm certainly open to suggestions so please speak up.

Jane
    July - Batiks Revisited D4P swap
    August - Scrappy Block swap - Bonnie Hunters' Scrappy Trips!
    September - Scrappy Block swap - Three Dudes in Batiks!

Here is a baby quilt I made with the Three Dudes block. I like it enough but honestly if I were swapping scrappy blocks I'd just want the small single unit, the one you get when you cut the strip block into diagonals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SheriR~
    2.5" stamp swap! Come join the fun.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...p-t250047.html
    From Grandma's closet quilt album: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums18788.html
    ~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

Blog Entries
    Jane playing more today so FYI only:
    5- 2 1/2" strips when all done gets you a 13 1/2" block
    5- 2 1/4" strips " " 12" block
    5- 2 3/8" strips tada 12 1/2" block
    Here's my examples Name:  DSCF2277.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  116.7 KB5 colors
    This is light and dark batiks with white, the unsewn 1 is the pattern just by opening up the squares. The sewn 1 , I turned 2 of the blocks, all of these measure 12 1/2"Name:  DSCF2279.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  114.5 KBName:  DSCF2278.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  111.4 KBThe advantage of this block cut at 2 3/8" strips is you get 4 pieces or 2 blocks when complete from your WOF strips with only about 3" left. Not much "wasted" fabric. Just giving you some examples of what my adventure today turned out to be.
    Needless to say I didn't mail the scrappy blocks but will on Monday.

I just love my R & D department. So productive and helpful. Thanks, Jaba.

SheriR - that's an interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that! What does everyone think?? Swapping the units after the diagonal cuts? We would, of course have to decide on a size, color, etc. but please share your thoughts.

Jane
    July - Batiks Revisited D4P swap
    August - Scrappy Block swap - Bonnie Hunters' Scrappy Trips!
    September - Scrappy Block swap - Three Dudes in Batiks!

Blog Entries
    Don't know about productive and helpful just was in the mood to play. I was dreaming about what size would fit, finally got up about 3a.m. and started cutting strips. I sure slept good last night Stupid things us quilter's do huh??

But ah so helpful!

I've been observing from the side lines, this month. I just wanted to let you know I like all of the blocks everyone has created. Very pretty. This was a block I have been wanting to start in the near future. Maybe in a few months, after I get a few other swap completed I will start working on this project. Anyway have fun and happy sewing.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast