Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Blocks of the Orient - Signup CLOSED >

Blocks of the Orient - Signup CLOSED

Blocks of the Orient - Signup CLOSED

Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM

Please use 100% pre-washed cotton (required) and make sure your blocks measure 12 ½" unfinished. We will be using the block pattern from Quilterscache.com - Squares upon Squares - (go to Quilterscache.com- select the free blocks - go to the section S-Z and you will find the block directions).
The block shows a black center, and you may use any black you wish, black upon black design, black with a little color in it, but black should be what is predominent in the center. The oppositional colors will be oriental in DESIGN, not ORIENTAL FABRIC (SILK FOR EXAMPLE). Make 12 blocks alike, you will receive one of yours back and 11 different blocks.

Please mark EACH ONE of your blocks with a little slip of paper pinned to each block, or a sticky label can be used, please put the label on the back as sometimes some of the 'sticky' adhears to the block itself. Or you may write in somewhere that it will not bleed through with a permanent thin pigma pen. Please include your real name AND Board name.
Send them to me along with an ADDRESSED RETURN Flat Rate Stamped envelope ($4.95) for returning blocks. There have been many envelopes sent in past swaps that do not have sufficient postage on them. No other return method will be accepted.

Sign-up will close on MONDAY FEB 28, PM me if you wish to join.
Blocks due to me by THURSDAY MARCH 31. Please plan mailing accordingly!! Because of problems with the deadlines in other swaps, if there is going to be a problem with having them here by March 31, please pm me. You also have the option of dropping out of the swap. Any blocks received after March 31 will not be accepted and will be returned to you. There is plenty of time to sign up, and complete the blocks. It is not fair for those who do honor the deadline to be waiting and waiting and waiting.
In accordance with general swap rules, failure to send promised BLOCKS will be reported in both the public column of the group activity matrix and as negative feedback against the profile of anyone who does not fulfill their commitment to the swap.

If you want to make multiple sets, just make sure you have 12 blocks of each SET design. You will receive back as many sets as you send. The flat rate envelope will hold two sets. Any more than that, you will need another flat rate return addressed stamped envelope.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM

YEAH!! Sign me up Deb!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 PM

I went and checked out the block...it will be a beautiful quilt!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM

This may be stooopid, but do you know what the fabric requirements would be for the 3 colors for all 12 blocks? I have quite a few asian fabrics , but I would want to make sure I've got enough in my stash...I wouldn't want to purchase. Would 1/2 yard of each of the 3 colors be enough?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
This may be stooopid, but do you know what the fabric requirements would be for the 3 colors for all 12 blocks? I have quite a few asian fabrics , but I would want to make sure I've got enough in my stash...I wouldn't want to purchase. Would 1/2 yard of each of the 3 colors be enough?
I did the math according to the fab requirements posted on the second pg of the pattern...here is what I came up with.
Color 1 - shown as dk orange - you will get 6 blocks per row....needing 2 rows = about 14"
and Color 1 also needs 36 3.5 blocks - need to cut 4 rows -=16 inches. 14+16 =30, so allowing for cutting errors - 1 yd total for color 1.

Color 2 - black - 1/2 yard is needed (36 blocks needed - getting 10 blocks per row) - 4 rows x4 inches wide =16 inches.

Color 3 - lt orange - 1 yd needed (72 blocks) 10 blocks per row, need 8 rows cut...8x4=32.

You can use any color for 1 and 3, color 2 should be black.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks, Deb. I'll look through my stash and see...
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 PM

Help!!!! Can't find the the block. What is the block's name? Found it!!! Thanks anyway.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM

All right, found block and I am very excited!!! I will let you know just as soon as I can. Want to see what I can find first. Thanks for offering this swap. My brother and his wife are very into Oriental things. Bye for now...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

This is a very simple block pattern, but keeping the center black will make the other two fabrics just pop. Now, you may want to change the larger (color 1 - shown as lite orange) to another color - making the block not black with two colors, but black with three colors!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM

This sounds like sooooo much fun, I pm'd you.